3DCoat Forums

Retopo spline paint bug

• Advanced Member

Hey guys..

2days ago I was testing retopo in 3Dcoat and it worked pretty well.

Today with the same model..it doesnt. I dont know why but suddenly when I am in the reotopo curve draw mode...drawing seems pretty slow and if I draw a closed circle nothing happens ( only a dot is left ). No curve at all. I tried cranking up the spline density but no effect.

As I said , 2 days ago the same model worked like a charm!

The workflow is :

-model in zbrush

-export and import in 3Dcoat

-I import as " do not voxelize".

-If I dont do "Autoscale the mesh will be very small but the Voxel Layer will have a resolution of 74x which makes the retopo useless.

-If I do Autoscale, the VoxelLayer res is at 0.5 and the retopo works fine.

I can't use autoscale since this is random right? so a no-go for every pipeline

can somebody explain how this works?

thanks in advance

Vito

• Reputable Contributor

This for a Surface mode and not voxel mode.

First, I switch my layer to surface mode and then use the merge tool. You do not need to have "merge without voxelizing" checked in the merge tool panel when in surface mode.

Do not use autoscale. Grab the center of the model's transform gizmo and scale your model till it is large enough for you to work on. Subdivide only if you need to. A high polygon model out of ZBrush would have no need to be subdivided.

Your model will be merged with the same amount of polygons it was exported out of Zbrush with but with each quad just being triangulated.

In this case do not go by the merge polycount dialog box number before merging. After merging check the bottom of the interface and you will see the correct number of polygons (increased by a power of two because of the triangulation) for your ZBrush model.

Press enter and the dialog box will come up and ask you if you want to keep the original scale of the model, choose yes. When you export the model it will be at the original zbrush size.

Your first problem, I do not know what is causing that.

In the picture, the default creature was imported with the above method. The model was imported with the original amount of polygons it was created with. The number will be increased just because the quads were triangulated upon import. So in other words for the creature example it has 358 quads and imports in as a 716 triangulated polygon model.

I did not subdivide the model on purpose here for the example's sake. Of course if you need to subdivide a low polygon model then by all means do so.

post-518-0-58944000-1350942485_thumb.png

• Advanced Member

This for a Surface mode and not voxel mode.

First, I switch my layer to surface mode and then use the merge tool. You do not need to have "merge without voxelizing" checked in the merge tool panel when in surface mode.

Do not use autoscale. Grab the center of the model's transform gizmo and scale your model till it is large enough for you to work on. Subdivide only if you need to. A high polygon model out of ZBrush would have no need to be subdivided.

Your model will be merged with the same amount of polygons it was exported out of Zbrush with but with each quad just being triangulated.

In this case do not go by the merge polycount dialog box number before merging. After merging check the bottom of the interface and you will see the correct number of polygons (increased by a power of two because of the triangulation) for your ZBrush model.

Press enter and the dialog box will come up and ask you if you want to keep the original scale of the model, choose yes. When you export the model it will be at the original zbrush size.

Your first problem, I do not know what is causing that.

In the picture, the default creature was imported with the above method. The model was imported with the original amount of polygons it was created with. The number will be increased just because the quads were triangulated upon import. So in other words for the creature example it has 358 quads and imports in as a 716 triangulated polygon model.

I did not subdivide the model on purpose here for the example's sake. Of course if you need to subdivide a low polygon model then by all means do so.

Thanks heaps!