3DCoat Forums

Transform Question

Schoening

• Reputable Contributor

I can't see how.. The Move arrows will just pull the entire thing Not just one of the Shoulders

This isn't a bug. That's how it works. Local edits, it mirrors, but 3D Coat uses the Transform tool in a global fashion. Not sure why, and I have mentioned this to Andrew before. I agree, it's a bit annoying, but what you want to do is use INSTANCER and don't have it in the parent object's subtree....otherwise it will inherit the same global transforms (what you've been experiencing).

You could also just turn off Symmetry, use the CUTOFF tool to remove the mirrored side > make the transform and when you're ready to mirror the other side, turn Symmetry back on > SHIFT tap (or you could hit the H key for the PICK tool, and tap) the side you want to copy/mirror > and click the Symmetrical Copy icon at the bottom of the Vox Tree Panel.

• Advanced Member

I've been trying to figure this thing out recently as well! Did what you said AbnRanger and got it sorted.....apart from not being able to cut off one of the sides,it would only let me "nibble " away at it ,if I lassood the whole side ...nada! Still, what I did was just position the side to where I wanted it,then Symm Copy.So I guess you do not have to get rid of one side...but it does look a bit messy when you are doing it....Oh, and I think I had to put it into "Global Space" to keep the symm plane at origin. ......I think thats what I did......cripes I only did it 2 hours ago and Im forgetting already...not sure I am cut out for this. :wacko:

Those neurons just need more practice. I'm 76 and I find I need more trips through a complex procedure to become adept. But you make new neurons everyday and if you put them to work they will hang around rather than be reabsorbed. ;)

You are really 76? That is pretty damn awesome that you do this! My had is 70 and he can not even turn on a computer

• Reputable Contributor

I've been trying to figure this thing out recently as well! Did what you said AbnRanger and got it sorted.....apart from not being able to cut off one of the sides,it would only let me "nibble " away at it ,if I lassood the whole side ...nada! Still, what I did was just position the side to where I wanted it,then Symm Copy.So I guess you do not have to get rid of one side...but it does look a bit messy when you are doing it....Oh, and I think I had to put it into "Global Space" to keep the symm plane at origin. ......I think thats what I did......cripes I only did it 2 hours ago and Im forgetting already...not sure I am cut out for this. :wacko:

Sounds like you didn't turn symmetry off before deleting the other side. The reason I delete one side is because the transform center will be where the symmetry plane is. If you delete one side, and then transform, the transform center will be on the object center. The thing about transforming vs local edits/sculpts, is that even though you have symmetry on, 3D Coat sees both sides as one object and transforms it as such. This is why it's better to use instancing for this purpose (again make sure not to have the instance in the original object's subtree). Hope this makes some sense.

• Contributor

You are really 76? That is pretty damn awesome that you do this! My had is 70 and he can not even turn on a computer

The iron law of nature is "use it or lose it". 3d modelling and animation is a great way to keep the most important organ in your body in good shape. Currently I'm learning how to create facial morphs in C4D. Everyone on this forum is in a good position to remain intellectually active for the rest of their lives. Titian did some of his best work in his 90's, Einstein was still wrestling with quantum theory when he died at 76 (oops, too close for comfort!).

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks AbnRanger....I went back to an old save and and checked to see If I had left symm on or something,but that wasnt it.I think it was a bug ,I was in Surface mode,so I converted to voxels and It cut off sweat as bee honey! Guess It does not like surface on my 'puter.Thats another little workaround to store in my brainbox.

Tony, I think you are correct...all this 3d stuff,is the only thing that keeps my brain lubricated at the moment!

And,good tip about the pose tool Beat!