3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Object scale import

BurrMan

• Advanced Member

I need some help with object size and units. This will help me with importing and exporting too, I think.

In voxel room, I set the units to inches. If I create a cylinder with a .25 radius, 1 inch tall, it will not merge in. If I create an object and "resup" the scene alot, then clear it and bring the primitive in, then an object will be made.

I need to get my scale and setup correct, so I can export STL's at proper size.

What is the workflow/setup?

• Reputable Contributor

I do know this you do not have enough voxel density to create your object. Once you got your units setup and have selected the primitive plus set the radius and height, then do this use the res+ to increase the voxel density of the layer before hitting apply to merging. It is a little bit of trial and error. I had to res+ up to 256x for the voxlayer in order for the .25 x 1 inch cylinder to have enough voxels. You really did this already but this saves a step.

Now according to page 53 of the manual, the other settings under the voxel menu and after setting your measurement units are your voxels per unit and units scale. ( not scene scale

From the wording it seems to say that aleast to me that you can change the number of cubic voxels per volume according to your measurements units selected. That way with smaller units you could have more cubic voxel density per volume. A res+ in a manner of speaking but prior to merging. A setting that would be saved with the file and used for all merging purpose whether from an external file or an internal primitive...

Reference page 40 (12.0 Voxel Room) of the manual for understanding how voxels work.

I tried resetting my voxel per unit and units scale so I could get more voxel density per volumel without using res+ but it keeps defaulting back to 1.000000 for both settings. I will have to ask Andrew about this so I fully understand what these settings do and if there is a bug....

Now if you are importing a STL then the question is mute. 3DCoat will keep the original scale of the imported stl object. Just select yes when ask to keep the original scale when merging. When you export the STL model it will be exported at it's original size. Remember when importing an object into the voxel mode scale the object up large enough to capture all the details.

• Advanced Member

Thanks Digman for the response. You have pointed a couple things that are the same for me:

Setting units to inch under voxel define measurment units, I tried to set "voxels per unit" thinking this was it, but as you mentioned, it just stays at 1. This may be the issue.

Also, hitting res+ "before" I hit enter or apply on merge object, just gives me a value of zero. If I merge an object and res+ it, then clear and merge object, I get the resolution, but this is hit and miss for me. Sometimes I end up bringing in a 5 million poly "sphere" or something. Then I am trying to resample it back down.

I'll look at "keep object scale" a bit more on object merge. I have been having issues with what I "Think" is inch units, I then import in massive, scaled objects in my other app set as inch. I am just having a hard time defining a single, definitive workflow.

For alot of sculpted stuff, I just work huge, then scale the exported stl in another app, to be close. Sometimes though, I need to try and adhere to specific sizes.

Today i did a test by setting the size of the objects in Hexagon, then bringing it into coat and working, and I got a proper size at export in the stl. Just hard to get this in coat alone.

I'll watch for any other input.

• Reputable Contributor

Look at this statement again...

"I had to res+ up to 256x for the voxlayer in order for the .25 x 1 inch cylinder to have enough voxels."

Do not worry about the value being "0" in the res+ but watch the voxtree layer, that is your key for how dense your voxel layer is becoming in this situation. I think I hit res+ about 8 times in a row to get to 256x. The value in the res+ dialog box will always stay "0" has you continue to press res+ when you have no real voxel object in the layer. After 8 res+ in a row, I got a .25 x 1 inch cylinder merging at 310,000 appox voxel count.

Anyway it is just a workaround for now and setting the size in Hexagon for now I would say is the easier way. Hexagon, I have also.

• Advanced Member

Do not worry about the value being "0" in the res+ but watch the voxtree layer, that is your key for how dense your voxel layer is becoming in this situation.

AHA!!!! Thank you sir. This I was missing. Also did some testing with merging object and scaling it bigger, then choosing "keep scale at export" upon merge, and this worked good too, with pre-sized objects.

I need some practice with creating things to size in 3dcoat and getting them out mixed with all the various scale and voxel count and resolution options.

Thanks for the help.

• Reputable Contributor

No problem, in fact doing this gave me somewhat the same idea. I started making scaled objects, like a 1 meter cube, etc... and saving them to the models panel as pre-sized reference objects. They are the first object I add to scene and I just scale up them when merging. Now any models I create in that scene will be in the correct real world scale but easier to work on being larger and of course be exported out at the original real world scale.

Makes sculpting things for blender easier using real world metric settings both for 3DCoat and Blender... :D

Another benefit is that when merging an existing 3DCoat file from the voxtree tab into the scene the scale will be all the same... From now on all my 3DCoat created scenes will have the same scale. I was not to concerned with it before as I was just doodling in sculpting. Now I desire to do more finished work and this will help keep things nice and tidy....

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [SOLVED] Object scale import
  • Carlosan pinned this topic