3DCoat Forums

pin vertices or seams from ABF,LSCM

pixo

• Advanced Member

Hello guys,

Does somebody know how to unwrap with ABF or LSCM some specific vertices.

Actually i need to pin some vertices and unwrap the rest of the island.

In maya i would select some UV vertices and Unwrap the selection.

It would be good to have an unwrap for the selection, it would works for edges,faces,vertices selection as well.

Not only for Islands.

ty,

Pixo

• Reputable Contributor

The below is not meant to imply we should not have more options in the 2d uv preview for working on our uv sets but just for your information. It does not answer all your specific questions but might be of some use in understanding some more about 3DCoat. Plus of course a large part you know already about what I am going to discuss below. :D

This question. "Does somebody know how to unwrap with ABF or LSCM some specific vertices." I do not think is possible in 3DCoat as of yet. I believe LSCM and ABF are only available for whole uv islands as after unwrapping of the entire model. Pinning though works through edges in 3DCoat if I am correct as I explain below..

3DCoat is more or less built upon the idea of doing our retopo workflow including uv sets in 3D. The reason I think for the absent of some of the normal tools that are in other modeling software and again we ask ourselves why is not this tool here or that tool here.

The main reason of the 3D preview is so we can have a real time feedback preview of our seam creation process. Edges work as pins. As I pin the edges I can see the transformation in real time how that will look like after I unwrapped the uv seams. The picture shows I created one long edge loop running from the top of the head to the base of the neck. Then used a few side edges at the top of the head connected to the end of the edge loop as pins to unwrap around. I was getting realtime feedback as I was selecting edges. I selected the edges using them as pins so I could unwrap around the face.

In a way it is just like pinning vertices but the vertices are pinned through the edges you select. Not many use the edges as pins but just connect edge loops till they block off an area. All the islands then are just blocked off islands with no use of edges as pins to unwrap around.

The picture shows the main uv island in the preview window after I use edges as pins.

The next picture shows it unwrapped for the uv set.

The example is just for show, no effort made to make a very good unwrap but to show edges acting as pins.

After unwrapping, I would use ABF or LSCM if necessary and then use a general relax and maybe some brush relaxing in specific areas.. You select brush in the top interface menu window and do manual relaxing inside the 2d UV preview. Hold down the left shift key while brushing.

This brings up another point. I use the default UV set as my storage set.

Next I send one or two uv islands at a time by using the (Move selected faces to) to move them to my pre-made working uv set. This is where I do all my uv island adjusting. Maybe re-pinning some areas again getting a realtime feedback before unwrapping.

I can work on a single uv island this way and unwrap it without unwrapping the entire model over again

Then I send off the uv island to my final pre-made uv set.

I rinse and repeat the process till I am done.

That is my workaround till we can select one uv island and unwrap it. It is faster that porting the model off to another program and then re-importing.

Sometimes it is easier to be shown this visually than just words to see if it would be faster for you to... Meet me on Skype sometime...

Finally I delete the two unused uv sets...

The above is alot of reading but it even helps me to focus my thoughts. Human written language is a wonderful piece, So commonplace but so marvelous!

I'm like the miner in the cave in the first Jurassic Park movie. I'm a Digger... hence my name "digman" If a piece of software will not do what I want it to do, then I dig for a workaround if the I think the chances of hitting pay dirt are good. Then I will show the developer the workaround and also ask for the feature request. Like it would be MUCH easier to select one Uv island and unwrap it... ;)

post-518-0-97216300-1352069053_thumb.jpe

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thank you for all your precisions. :)

This is actually what i did,i'm testing in the same time all the UV tools on my models.

I saw the auto-seams doesn't work on selection too, may be with your trick it would work.

For the moment on my current personal project ,i did everything under 3DCoat (modeling,textures,retopo) and right now i'm UV-ing it.

Now i'm facing the case where i have to tweak the UV.

I can see the UV tools are good but not precise.

The unwrap didn't manage to make the central symmetry loop of my model straight in the UV.

It looks like there's not a simple solution to my issue.

I will simply do it in Maya for this "Island" as you told me.

This is not a big deal i still found 3D Coat good.

In the same time i'm testing 3DCoat and compare it with others software that i used to work with(Mary,UVlayout,Topogun,Mudbox),at the end i just want to see where 3DCoat will stand.

So this is really good to know.

Once again thank you Digman to make it clear.

Pixo

• Advanced Member

Yes it does but as you may know you have to unfold the exterior part after that (as shown in the video).

So it means to be able to select some vertices,edges,faces and unwrap it without modifying the central loop.

I'm back to my first question does 3DC is able to unfold selected components?

If not i can use maya and do it like the attached video.

Kind

Pixo

• Reputable Contributor

I rewatched the video and now understand, You straighten the central symmetry loop which was curved and then unwrapped the uv island again without effecting the central loop. That is what you said in your post as well, so it is funny sometimes it just takes to see it visually for your mind to click...

I do not believe at this current time you can do what you are asking in 3DCoat. Looks like a couple of feature request are in order.

First the ability to unwrap a single uv island for tweaking. Very important... and I can get rid of my workaround.

Then more tools for tweaking our single uv islands in the 2D preview like the ones you have been describing...

I would hope that Andrew will be inclined to add some of these. Maybe we would not see them till after version 4 is released but you never know..

If you make the feature requests, I will +1 them and throw in my 2 cents worth. I'm been on a feature request binge anyway, the first in my history at 3DCoat. I posted more feature requests in the last month than all my 5 years of using 3DCoat... :D

3DC is unable to pin vertices during the unwrap or relaxing phases. It was in the initial design that I wrote up for Andrew, unfortunately it didn't make it in. A Mantis report for this would likely go a long way to getting it implemented. :)

Waha! Thanks for that. I thought I had reported that but couldn't remember if I did by email, forum or Mantis.

EDIT: I assigned it to Andrew, so now he will see it and how many support it. Thanks guys.

In a way it is just like pinning vertices but the vertices are pinned through the edges you select. Not many use the edges as pins but just connect edge loops till they block off an area. All the islands then are just blocked off islands with no use of edges as pins to unwrap around.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...