3DCoat Forums

Kneeling woman

philnolan3d

Here's a little project I started the other day. I still have to finish the head, left arm, shoulders, and a few other small areas. I was thinking for the face I might make it a full solid face like I did with the fingers and toe tips. If possible I'm going to see how much it will cost ot print at Shapeways.

135214282415.jpg

http://3d-coat.com/turntableID=135214146625

• Like 2

Thanks all, it's done freehand with the Copy tool, then the original hidden. I haven't decided what to do about hair yet. The base model is from the mannequin that comes with 3DC v4, though I had to add a couple of things to make it female. :p:

135219828825.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

That's a shame Phil because that would make a great 3D print. Probably the quickest way (and it's still not going to be that quick) would be to manually retopo using the 'Strokes' tool.

• Advanced Member

Sorry, I meant a 100k mesh. Because it creates a loop around the masked area. Then, extrude.

Another option could be to just paint these and start retopo. Then under another app, extrude. (solidify in blender). But you know this already.

It's a nice piece of art. So, you can do it.

One thing about the Copy tool that I used is that it makes the outside flat and the inside rounded, looking a lot more like a brush stroke. I think it gives it a more natural, hand made feel, less mechanical. I'm not sure other techniques would achieve that.

I got the model decimated more than enough. From 50m polys down to 354 thousand. The trick was to over exaggerate the details I wanted to keep in the face, then use the Voxels > Decimate function multiple times, increasing the percentage each time, first 20%, then 40, 50, I think I was at 60% when it was decimated enough and the quality was still there. The print is now available on Shapeways. While it should be alright I obviously haven't seen a real print of it yet.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/822510/kneeling-woman.html

• Advanced Member

Fwiw, you will have to make sure that your model has a material-thickness of at least 1.5mm everywhere, else it will not print properly.

Looking at the super-low volume and the considerable outer size I doubt that this is the case.

Shapeways does not look into this when checking your model after uploading but they'll notíce when you actually order.