3DCoat Forums

UV Texture Editor - Make Padding Wider?, Shut off UV Island Respect?

Bony

I'm working on mobile games and I usually have very small texture maps to use on my objects. 512x512 is the size I have to work with for my assets a lot of the time. Because of this, I'll use the polys of my objects and UV islands to get nice clean edges rather than drawing lines in a bitmap. For example, I would separate the UV island of an entire window to get clean hard edges around the edge of the window when it renders in the game engine.

I do all of my retopo work in 3D-coat and I like painting my objects in 3D-coat as well but I'm getting a bit frustrated.

I've been looking for a way to increase the edge padding around my UVs when I'm painting textures in the Texture Editor in the Paint Room. I'm talking about the bitmap edges around my UV islands in my texture, not about the space between UV islands when they're packed.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to increase the size of the padding until I export the map. By default, the padding is set to 1 pixel I think. I want to be able to increase this padding when I'm painting, so my UV islands sit inside a solid color and don't have the color of the polys that they're next to bleeding onto my edges. See the attached images.

Also, in the Texture Editor, it would be great if there were an option to "turn off" the respecting of the UV islands and just let me paint wherever I want as a plain old 2D image. Even in the areas where there are no UVs.

Right now I have to export my map (say the diffuse map) from 3D-coat and then take it in to Photoshop and clean up the edges and add my own "padding" to the UV islands to get rid of the jaggy bleeding stuff.

Even when I tell 3D-Coat to export the map with extra padding, the results aren't always that great and I still end up with jaggy edges and bleeding in some areas. I want to control this padding myself when I'm painting.

Am I missing something? How do the rest of you handle this? I could just paint my map completely in PS but It would be faster is 3D-Coat.

Bony

post-3991-0-16261000-1352918882_thumb.jp

post-3991-0-08937700-1352919765_thumb.jp

Neo and carlosa,

Those options only pertain to padding that gets created when the image is exported. They have nothing to do with how much padding there is around UVs when you are actually painting in the Texture Editor or the viewport.

I sure wish they did.

Bony

• Reputable Contributor

Neo and carlosa,

Those options only pertain to padding that gets created when the image is exported. They have nothing to do with how much padding there is around UVs when you are actually painting in the Texture Editor or the viewport.

I sure wish they did.

Bony

That's because it creates the padding FOR YOU, based on the pixels at the border of the Islands.

• Reputable Contributor

This not a padding problem but how 3DCoat handles solid colors along polygon edges or uv island edges... Also the solid colors might just revel the problem.

Test image--- 512 x 512

The image I uploaded is a 512 x 512 image with a padding of 10 pixels. More than enough. I exported the texture map and re-imported the map.

Padding did not solve the problem. The viewport image and the imported image look both the same.

No problems when you use the regular brushes as seen in the picture...

I think what we need is anti aliasing of polygon edges / uv island edges when painting 3D in the program. or Andrew might know another way.

If I had a lot of models, I would not want to hand-paint the all the edges in 2D whether I do it in the uv texture editor or photoshop... :blink:

I will post a mantis report about this in the next few days...

post-518-0-15743500-1353002453_thumb.png

AbnRanger,

Yes it does it for me, but I can't think of a time it created the padding in a way that was useful.

As you can see in the sequence of images I have attached, the image that 3D Coat exports with padding doesn't give me what I need. It's just expanding already messed up pixels on the edges!

This is why I'd like more control over the padding that gets created as I'm painting. I really want to make the padding for myself in 3D coat thanks.

Once I take the image into PS and fix the padding so the bitmap overlaps the UV islands (Image 4) you can see that I get the effect I want on my model (Image 5).

If you can show me a way to make 3D coat export padded images that are closer to what I make by hand in PS, I'm all ears.

Bony

post-3991-0-08622100-1353005501_thumb.jp

post-3991-0-99496800-1353005508_thumb.jp

post-3991-0-18289900-1353005521_thumb.jp

post-3991-0-19572100-1353005529_thumb.jp

post-3991-0-11794600-1353005554_thumb.jp

• Reputable Contributor

I saw the problem very clearly in my test and we both get the same results...

I will post a Manitis bug report in a day or two with a link to this thread. Busy at the moment.

Andrew needs to see this problem so he check if there is a bug in the routine or just to optimize the routine to get Clean edges...

EDIT: I went ahead and did a Mantis bug report.