3DCoat Forums

Penguin

geo_n

• Advanced Member

Here's my wip. Not sure if I'm doing it right. Not really going for realistic as my project will be very snowy and foggy.

Any suggestion welcome.

UV model

3dc0007layer1pd6.jpg

Mask layer 1

3dc0006layer2it3.jpg

Painting Feet

3dc0005layer3qy2.jpg

Base coat black

3dc0004layer4kc3.jpg

2nd layer coat black

3dc0003layer5sv4.jpg

Inverted mask to paint white

3dc0002layer6qp9.jpg

Another layer for mouth

3dc0001layer7bx3.jpg

Another layer for yellowish fur

3dc0000layer8ho0.jpg

Test render left is low poly and right is mid poly

testhd7.jpg

Can anyone tell me how the displacement map from 3dc is used in lightwave? I exported the displacement map from 3dc and added a deform>normal displacemt in Layout but there's no effect. It looks the same with or without the normal displacement.

• Advanced Member
Can anyone tell me how the displacement map from 3dc is used in lightwave? I exported the displacement map from 3dc and added a deform>normal displacemt in Layout but there's no effect. It looks the same with or without the normal displacement.

I am not a LW expert, actually i never used it at all, but it sounds to me like you are trying to insert displacement map into normal map's place. Try to export normal map from 3DC and use it in the same place.

I am not a LW expert, actually i never used it at all, but it sounds to me like you are trying to insert displacement map into normal map's place. Try to export normal map from 3DC and use it in the same place.

Hi,

you must go the object properties-deform - under displacement check the edit nodes panel, go inside and create a node for your displacement map.

Check the tutoirial at newtek to how to setup a displacement node.

If you have several uv and map check my wip, there's a link fot this case.

• Advanced Member

yukon_28- 3dc exports the lwo model with the normal map already applied. So I'm trying to figure out how to apply the displacement map. I think tortoro is right and I have to create another node for that displacement map manually.

tortoro - I'll check it out. I try to avoid using nodes since people I work with still use lightwave 8. I found this link from your wip. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php...le+displacement

Useful info. I think there should be sticky in 3dc forum about this topic.

P.S. why are 3dc file so big? This penguin is 400mb!!!

• Advanced Member

Also what is the best way to make crisp curve lines? I tried to draw with curve brush and also draw with spline and it looks jagged like in picture. When the curve follows the shape of the model its trying to alias the curve I think. But it turns jagged afterwards.

beaksd8.jpg

At first, I think that displacenent will not be useful in this case. Normalmap is best. It gives good enough quality and much lower render time. So if you need to render something - just export mid-res mesh with normalmap.

second - jags. Jags arise because of carcass mesh resolution is not very high. There is 2 resolutions in 3DC - highpoly mesh resolution and carcass mesh. HP mesh is used to create mormalmap for carcass mesh. So if your final purpose is normalmap, jags are only temporary visual effect. Press '6' and look low poly mesh with normalmap.

third - the penguin itself :) Looks very good, but it seems there is too many "dots" or "noisy dots" instead of stright short lines - feathers. Also orange spot on neck has too rigid edges in comparison to photo.

• Advanced Member
At first, I think that displacenent will not be useful in this case. Normalmap is best. It gives good enough quality and much lower render time. So if you need to render something - just export mid-res mesh with normalmap.

second - jags. Jags arise because of carcass mesh resolution is not very high. There is 2 resolutions in 3DC - highpoly mesh resolution and carcass mesh. HP mesh is used to create mormalmap for carcass mesh. So if your final purpose is normalmap, jags are only temporary visual effect. Press '6' and look low poly mesh with normalmap.

third - the penguin itself :) Looks very good, but it seems there is too many "dots" or "noisy dots" instead of stright short lines - feathers. Also orange spot on neck has too rigid edges in comparison to photo.

So how can I make it high poly mesh and carcash mesh? Will the textures be affected? I'll do some changes to the noisy dots. I notice the white feathers are short and the black are longer. Thanks.

Is the file size 400mb normal? Seems quite big.

So how can I make it high poly mesh and carcash mesh? Will the textures be affected? I'll do some changes to the noisy dots. I notice the white feathers are short and the black are longer. Thanks.

Is the file size 400mb normal? Seems quite big.

Carcass mesh resolution acn't be changed now, but it does not affect textures.

400 mb is normal if mesh resolution is 5-8 millions of polygones and you have several layers. But really it is big value. I will work how to decrease it. But so many pixels should be stored somewhere :)

• Advanced Member
Carcass mesh resolution acn't be changed now, but it does not affect textures.

400 mb is normal if mesh resolution is 5-8 millions of polygones and you have several layers. But really it is big value. I will work how to decrease it. But so many pixels should be stored somewhere :)

Oh I see. So I should always put the carcass resolution to highest next time. I thought its the same effect as the the millions of polygon. How does more millions of polygon affect the model? It doesn't make smoother stroke and elimate jaggies?

• Advanced Member
Oh I see. So I should always put the carcass resolution to highest next time. I thought its the same effect as the the millions of polygon. How does more millions of polygon affect the model? It doesn't make smoother stroke and elimate jaggies?

Andrew had said that he would make realtime fur,I think that will really help you!keep up waiting for the super man,perhapes he will make it in release 2.10!

• Advanced Member
Andrew had said that he would make realtime fur,I think that will really help you!keep up waiting for the super man,perhapes he will make it in release 2.10!

Im not really sure how I`ll be using hair output from 3dc. Unless he makes a hair plugin for lightwave itself.

Fur will not be done in 2.10, it is property of 3.0 :)

About carcass: I hope that I wil make it dynamical in near future, but now it is good to choose it between 60-200 k. It gives good enough visual appearance. But actually, it is not very important. Big mesh resolution is more important because it determines actual output texture quality.

geo_n: I don't think this model will benfit much from displacement, it will only slow down render and eat memory. But if you want it it should be done as you did with the normal displacement deformer if you don't want to use nodes.

• Advanced Member
geo_n: I don't think this model will benfit much from displacement, it will only slow down render and eat memory. But if you want it it should be done as you did with the normal displacement deformer if you don't want to use nodes.

yes I was able to reproduce it in older version of lw with normal displacement plugin. :)

playing around with kray and penguins,

clone0000000001no8.jpg

1468 instances of penguin(9549 poly)= 14061972 poly and only used less than a gig.

rendered with lappy, core 2 1.6ghz 3gig ram winxp. impressive kray!