3DCoat Forums

Mickey Rat - WIP

m8nkey

I recently purchased 3d coat through Steam. I started this character watching the quickstart tutorial, rat from scratch. I don't want to invest too much into this guy but going to use him to learn the basics of retopo and texturing too. Any crits or suggestions appreciated :)

Cheap and nasty renders in Maya using mental ray and default Lambert material for now.

8238365169_e814602bfb_b.jpg

8238365429_68c9a9cbfc_b.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

PSmith's tuts are a very good starting point for sculpting organic models.

Excellent first model, he looks like he's just emptied a bottle of Jack in his hand! Retopo'ing the teeth and gums will probably be your hardest part.

I've been doing an hour or so of retopo each morning. I've done very little character modeling before so would appreciate any advice on edge flow or anything else. Lowpoly is currently 7034 tris. Sculpt is ~ 1.8 million tris

8252394631_35e3825d3e_b.jpg

Thanks guys, I used the stroke tool for the arms and legs. The rest I just used points and faces, quads and the cap tool. for cavities I created the outer edge loops then used the cap tool. after capping I added additional edge loops.

I have a day off tomorrow. currently working a horrible cycle where I only get one day off every fourteen days. Going to finish the retopo and make a start on the texturing.

• 2 weeks later...

Retopo'ing the teeth and gums will probably be your hardest part.

You were right, the teeth were a nightmare. I had problems when I enabled symmetry verts near the center line would snap to the tooth on the opposing side. I had no idea how to correct it so I just modelled and textured one side which I duplicated and flipped in Maya.

Started experimenting with texturing yesterday. I'm going to use Maya fur but I want an interesting skin that will remain exposed in areas.

8288389575_a30ab76cb3_b.jpg

• Advanced Member

You were right, the teeth were a nightmare. I had problems when I enabled symmetry verts near the center line would snap to the tooth on the opposing side. I had no idea how to correct it so I just modelled and textured one side which I duplicated and flipped in Maya.

Started experimenting with texturing yesterday. I'm going to use Maya fur but I want an interesting skin that will remain exposed in areas.

That's the issue I had with my Ben Grimm model, teeth so close together that it was difficult to retopo. I tried two methods 1) autopo and 2) moved the teeth to separate layers (top teeth and bottom teeth) then moved each tooth further apart. I then moved them closer together in Lightwave.

Ricky.