3DCoat Forums

3D scan ply vertex Colour to Retopogized mesh workflow

jininjin

I am wondering what a good workflow would be for a 3d scan data (point cloud) that has been converted to a high poly mesh with vertex colour then decimated to be workable in 3D coat for retopology. So the decimated mesh has reduced the detail in the vertex colour so I cannot use it for baking the textures therefore I need to use the original high poly scannrf mesh (80mil triangles) with vertex colour to transfer the texture to the retopolized mesh.

I am finding the original mesh is huge so it kills 3D coat... I may need to split the mesh then somehow bake the retopo'd mesh with the broken up original mesh... hope this all makes sense.

What I am doing:

Point cloud scan --> generated mesh ---> decimated ---> Retopolized ----> transfer original generated vertex colour to retopo'd mesh

Any help is appreciated.

It would be awesome if 3D coat imported point clouds to bake textures.....

Hi!

Have you tried using the File>Import>Reference Mesh function? I'm not sure about that exactly mesh, but this function is exactly what you're looking for. It lets you import a mesh that is static and not editable so you can retopologize with a lot more ease than otherwise.

Hope it works out for you. If not, definitely try to piece things out and try again with Import>Reference Mesh. Looking forward to hearing your results. :)

Hi!

Have you tried using the File>Import>Reference Mesh function? I'm not sure about that exactly mesh, but this function is exactly what you're looking for. It lets you import a mesh that is static and not editable so you can retopologize with a lot more ease than otherwise.

Hope it works out for you. If not, definitely try to piece things out and try again with Import>Reference Mesh. Looking forward to hearing your results. :)

Thanks. I have done this but since the original mesh is 80 million triangles 3D coat runs out of memory. The only way it appears is to come in if I do it in sections but I am unsure how to bake the vertex colours from the sections of a mesh on to the full complete retopologize mesh. I am working on a 3D scan of a skateboard park. Basically a concrete swimming pool.

Thanks. I have done this but since the original mesh is 80 million triangles 3D coat runs out of memory. The only way it appears is to come in if I do it in sections but I am unsure how to bake the vertex colours from the sections of a mesh on to the full complete retopologize mesh. I am working on a 3D scan of a skateboard park. Basically a concrete swimming pool.

Try file->Import for vertex painting. It may load very big objects if 64 bit version used and you have a lot of RAM.