3DCoat Forums

an average man head

gabkosit

• Contributor

That's looking great. I'll have to play with V4 a little more.

The thing I have to keep in mind when modelling is to do all major work (get the basic shapes) on a very low poly model, and take it as far as possible with the least amount of polys. Then slowly up the res, sculpt, up the res etc. When I go high poly too early, its much harder to control, and avoid 'lumps'.

Anyhow, nice progress there. Hope you'll post your finished model.

Greg

In Surface mode on the top menu next to "help" you will see in the drop down menu of Shift and Crt+Shift there are several option you can choose one of those is Powerful smoothing. You can see it on my latest screenshot image. I found that Powerful smoothing work better in Voxel than Surface mode.

• Contributor

Thanks for explaining where the "power smoothing" feature was. I tried it out yesterday. It only seemed to be slightly stronger than the regular smoothing, and the regular smoothing isn't very strong. The "CUDA smooth boost" option in voxel mode is much more powerful. That being said, I'm still really starting to like sculpting in surface mode a lot! My favorite brush is now "Rapid2" with "remove stretching" enabled. Using it with different alphas seems to do most of what I need...

Anyways, I also wanted to comment on your sculpt! For doing hair, a cool way to do it is using the Muscle tool (either in surface or voxel mode). It has several options which allow you to set it up so that it starts out thin, then gets fat, and then gets thin again at the end of the stroke. Abnranger (a user on this forum) has made a tutorial video somewhere (on Youtube probably) that shows his method on how to do it. If you continually use the muscle tool over and over with different sizes, you can build up some really great looking hair.

Another thing I noticed about your sculpt is that the character's ear seems to be too far forward...perhaps it should be like an inch and a half farther back on the head? It should be fairly easy to move it back there since you are using 3D-Coat. You could use the "Split" tool with the lasso selection mode to cut it off and then use the Transform tool to move it back there. Then merge it back onto the head (right click on your voxel layer in the Voxtree and select "merge to...")

Otherwise I think it looks really good! Nice job, keep working on it! It would be great if you made a body to go with it at some point!

• Like 1