3DCoat Forums

Amazing tree generator on iPad

michalis

• Advanced Member

Yes, it is free, it exports FBX files. A little heavy but beautiful. Expect ~50-100K faces

Of course you gonna mess with iTunes for this. (I may be a mac user, but not a itunes fan for sure)

LOL

http://www.cgchannel.com/2011/08/get-treesketch-2-0-cool-free-tree-generation-ipad-app/

• Advanced Member

. But seriously... for iPad? Why would someone choose an iPad as a platform for this kind of app? To complicate production process even more by involving another machine type

I think Ipads change your relationship to technology , they get you away from that static/ driving seat posture and mentality of working on computer - the process is more relaxing. Similar thing can happen on ipads that can happen in sketchbooks but so rarely do on computers. For me the thought of lounging on my bed nibbling chocolate and stroking my ipad whilst Palm and her five sisters await my tree pruning instruction is progress. You can plug in your ipad and bring over the file less time than it takes most apps to load.

http://algorithmicbotany.org/papers/TreeSketch.SBM2012.html

Abstract

TreeSketch is a system for modeling complex trees that look natural yet are creatively designed. The system integrates procedural tree generation with a multi-touch tablet interface that provides detailed control of tree form. The procedural component is based on the concept of tree self-organization and simulates competition of branches for space and light as the tree develops from a seedling. The modeler can control this process by directing growth with a procedural brush, changing parameters as the tree grows, interleaving controlled and autonomous growth, and editing generated forms. Complex trees can be created in a matter of seconds.

Reference

Steven Longay, Adam Runions, Frédéric Boudon, and Przemyslaw Prusinkiewicz. TreeSketch: Interactive modeling of trees on a tablet. Proceedings of the Eurographics Symposium on Sketch-Based Interfaces and Modeling, pp. 107-120, 2012.

Download PDF here (26Mb), or download the reduced version (4Mb). The definitive version is available at the publisher's site.

http://diglib.eg.org/EG/DL/WS/SBM/SBM12

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

as for Microsofts RT

They have to treat the manufacturer of tablets for RT better, i dont think their strict strategy regarding Surface (prototype) will be successfull. They should open the prototype more to the other manufacturers ( which have more experience in creating good hardware).

Very nice little program indeed. But seriously... for iPad? Why would someone choose an iPad as a platform for this kind of app? To complicate production process even more by involving another machine type?

Yeah really, Android would have been a much better choice. Far bigger user base plus PC/mac users get it too if they install Bluestacks.

• 3 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Just wondering if anyone has this app kicking around anymore. It seems to not exist on iTunes now, and would love to give it a try. Please let me know if you have a copy :)

EDIT: nm, found a download here. http://apple.vshare.com/421230117.html

This may be another reason to keep the ol' iPad 1 alive.

Edited by Hammers

• 2 weeks later...