3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat Retopology in 4.0 Beta

welchrs64

• Advanced Member

I am very new to 3D-Coat and Zbrush. I started sculpting early this year in 3D-Coat and later added a Zbrush License. I was on the verge of getting Topogun but I have found that the 3D-Coat tools are great and easy to use. For months I had been shy of them. I watched a few tutorials. I am amazed at how easy the quads fall on the High Polly Mesh that I shaped/designed in Poser. These tools are easy to use. I have no idea how I will get the UV's onto the retopo mesh when I am done but I look forward to learning. I really didn't expect to get this small result in just 10 or 15 minutes. It seems I don;t have to know how to use all the tools and can just relpy on a few favorites in the 3D-Coat retopo menu's

I plan to upgrade my license from educational to to full in the next few months.

Thanks 3D-Coat!!!!

I attached a a small humble picture. I am new to modeling and Unity all this fun stuff, For a newbie I am having a great experiencing This retopo will be the version 2.0 of the Unity Game Char for my game that I made, with pain, earlier this year.

Robert

post-12483-0-03731900-1355800330_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

I am very new to 3D-Coat and Zbrush. I started sculpting early this year in 3D-Coat and later added a Zbrush License. I was on the verge of getting Topogun but I have found that the 3D-Coat tools are great and easy to use. For months I had been shy of them. I watched a few tutorials. I am amazed at how easy the quads fall on the High Polly Mesh that I shaped/designed in Poser. These tools are easy to use. I have no idea how I will get the UV's onto the retopo mesh when I am done but I look forward to learning. I really didn't expect to get this small result in just 10 or 15 minutes. It seems I don;t have to know how to use all the tools and can just relpy on a few favorites in the 3D-Coat retopo menu's

I plan to upgrade my license from educational to to full in the next few months.

Thanks 3D-Coat!!!!

I attached a a small humble picture. I am new to modeling and Unity all this fun stuff, For a newbie I am having a great experiencing This retopo will be the version 2.0 of the Unity Game Char for my game that I made, with pain, earlier this year.

Robert

How can I get the other side to fill in after I'm done. I'm using symmetry or mirror type of mode. Will I be able to have 3D-Coat fill in the other side with the mirror image?

Thanks

Robert

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4eM_rkmL2oaVDdzdXpSSnVzLVE

• Reputable Contributor

How can I get the other side to fill in after I'm done. I'm using symmetry or mirror type of mode. Will I be able to have 3D-Coat fill in the other side with the mirror image?

Thanks

Robert

https://docs.google....VDdzdXpSSnVzLVE

Hit the S key (or access the Symmetry menu from the Menu bar) and enable Symmetry along the appropriate axis. You can then hit APPLY SYMMETRY at the bottom of the tool panel (or in the Retop Menu), and it will make it permanent.

• Contributor

"I have no idea how I will get the UV's onto the retopo mesh when I am done but I look forward to learning." When you are finished with your retopo, use the "Unwrap" tool and merge to the Paint room. Hit the 4 key and you will see your mesh/UV. You can also see the Uvs in the UV room.

• Advanced Member

"I have no idea how I will get the UV's onto the retopo mesh when I am done but I look forward to learning." When you are finished with your retopo, use the "Unwrap" tool and merge to the Paint room. Hit the 4 key and you will see your mesh/UV. You can also see the Uvs in the UV room.

@Tony Memo - Thanks, I look forward to trying that tonight. Looks like I saved $100 for I won't need Topogun. I'm having a ball over here.

Thanks for the quick reply.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4eM_rkmL2oaOEdoR2dsUF80Wnc

Hit the S key (or access the Symmetry menu from the Menu bar) and enable Symmetry along the appropriate axis. You can then hit APPLY SYMMETRY at the bottom of the tool panel (or in the Retop Menu), and it will make it permanent.

Thanks! It worked!

• Reputable Contributor

This video might help out some:

Just a couple notes to keep in mind when watching that:

1) You can dock your preview and Retopo layer group panel to the side, if you want.

2) With Symmetry on, there is no need to do seams on both side (when the model is symmetrical)

Looking good. I noticed in your re-topo you may have an N-gon. An N-gon is a polygon with more than 4 vertices. They can cause problems at rendertime, especially during mesh deformations for animation.

8288406493_4a5a5255b9_b.jpg

I'd be interested in seeing some renders from Unity once you've ported it in there :)

*edit. Ba, noticed another N-gon straight after posting. It's on the cheek below the eye. Easiest way to get rid of them is by terminating your edge loops by making a traingle with a new by poly. 3d coat also notifies you of N-gons in the bottom bar with the other polycount information.

• Advanced Member

Looking good. I noticed in your re-topo you may have an N-gon. An N-gon is a polygon with more than 4 vertices. They can cause problems at rendertime, especially during mesh deformations for animation.

8288406493_4a5a5255b9_b.jpg

I'd be interested in seeing some renders from Unity once you've ported it in there :)

*edit. Ba, noticed another N-gon straight after posting. It's on the cheek below the eye. Easiest way to get rid of them is by terminating your edge loops by making a traingle with a new by poly. 3d coat also notifies you of N-gons in the bottom bar with the other polycount information.

Thanks I was having some problems. I just saw the help you posted and that explains it. Thanks for explain what an N-gon was also. I decided to start over and do all the work around the ears, mouth, eyelash, and eyes first so I can have more clear topology and pick up only Quads and triangles easier. I have been turning triangles into quads when that happens by deleting the diagonal after I make two adjacent triangles. I hope to have the Mesh done and into Unity sometimes tomorrow.

Here is pic of how I have started over with more careful approach in those areas.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4eM_rkmL2oaNVBCbHZMc1NldTg

Robert

• Advanced Member

I am finding it very hard to retopo across the ear and behind it, It seems I can do an entire head or other body part over three times in the same amount of time it takes me to work in back of the eor on other parts of the ear. The main problem is sometimes edges show up as black lines that are actually on the opposite surface and my pen grabs them sometimes,

I also can't find a way to bridge to sections together. please see the yellow portion of the ear in my photo. I like using this in all other aspects. I may try Topogun 2 and just use it for ears and do the rest in 3D-Coat, I have also looked into Blender Bsurfaces to just do ears, 3D-Coat updates so much that I'm 100% confident that this will be fixed or improved and that my skill will improve so this not a show stopper for my resolve is unchanged(-:

Any suggestions. Photo is linked below

https://docs.google....UHp3cDVWMEt1RjQ

Thanks

Robert

AKA

Venged

• Advanced Member

I finally got the better results behind the ears and in front. I planned the flow out ahead of time. Though there is so much more for me to learn I'm still amazed at how 3D-Coat is easier for me than I thought it would be. I'm gonna finish this one with starting over. All the start overs were good for my learning.

Here is what it is looking like now.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4eM_rkmL2oaSUlvdnJtQ2JCbU0

Robert

• Reputable Contributor

I finally got the better results behind the ears and in front. I planned the flow out ahead of time. Though there is so much more for me to learn I'm still amazed at how 3D-Coat is easier for me than I thought it would be. I'm gonna finish this one with starting over. All the start overs were good for my learning.

Here is what it is looking like now.

https://docs.google....SUlvdnJtQ2JCbU0

Robert

What I would try to do is find a good reference image of a model (you can bring use the Image Picker, dock it in the Retopo Room, and keep the reference image right there in your viewport), and use the Strokes Tool to sketch that topology, as best you can...from there, just hit ENTER and 3D Coat will create polygons from it. I try to use the Strokes tool as the initial tool and take it as far as I can go, before switching to the other tools. It will get your farther and faster than any other method I can think of.

• Advanced Member

@AdnRanger - Wow thanks! I didn't know 3D-Coat had that feature If I am understanding correcting I would pull up the real ear reference or nose and over in the view-port sketch the contours and let 3D-Coat fill it in with Quads then I just go to brushing and moving verts and edges to tweak it in?

Thanks!

Here is how the nose turned out a few minutes ago.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4eM_rkmL2oaYng0NS0xWkNSRG8

• Advanced Member

It has taken me a long time to do the toes. I keep taking a breaks and have spent abut 20 min a day on this over the past few days. I'm very happy with the Retopo tools. Next time I think I will make a Daz3D character with Shoes on though or sculpt one with shoes. LOL

I have been using the hide tool as much as possible to get in between. I wanted to get it right so I can just use these body parts over and over again for low poly game character creation. I also think next time I can maybe cut the feet off the high poly and just autoretopo those maybe.

I posted a picture of the foot progress thus far. Any pointer yall have for me please post. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4eM_rkmL2oadC03ZWtmNzAyb1k

Robert

• Advanced Member

Hey Robert, this is what you want your edgeflow to closely resemble if you are trying to animate the face later on. Try to use as few polygons as possible. The feet look pretty good, though to be honest I've never had a model where I thought the feet would be visible so I never retopo feet in the first place.

03_edge_planning.jpg

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

@Kay-Eva - Thanks. Your right I am spending to much time on something that won't show in the game. I am going to not work about having all the detail between the toes. I gonna look at the head that I finished. I may need to do it again because I am wanting to animate the face at some point in Unity.

Thanks for the quick reply and advice.

Happy Holidays

Robert

• Reputable Contributor

@AdnRanger - Wow thanks! I didn't know 3D-Coat had that feature If I am understanding correcting I would pull up the real ear reference or nose and over in the view-port sketch the contours and let 3D-Coat fill it in with Quads then I just go to brushing and moving verts and edges to tweak it in?

Thanks!

Here is how the nose turned out a few minutes ago.

https://docs.google....Yng0NS0xWkNSRG8

You could use an Image Plane if you want, but what I was referring to was just loading a reference image in the Image picker, and then trace in the viewport the topology you see in your reference image. There are tons of model images you can use from off the internet. The face is looking pretty good except I'd be a bit more judicious with the usage of tri's. I know it's not that big of a deal in game models, but in general, it's best to use all quads when you can, to keep the mesh as clean as possible, so that when it gets subdivided, there are no niggly issues. The toes look pretty good. It really just depends on what is going to be exposed. If the model is always going to have shoes on, there is no need to even fool with the inner foot. Weld the ankle area geometry with the shoe (so that there is no inner foot).

• Advanced Member

I finished the Retopo but need to go back and repair some N-Gons I missed. I exported the Mesh to Unity and Carrara Studio before making any UV Seams or islands to see how the skin would render. Looks like I could repair the missing quads that the were left out because of N-gons in Carrara or blender but I will do this all over again this week. I ee this tool, 3D-Coat Retopology, can work for me if I take my time and master the basics. I have started watching the Retoplogy video that was suggested earlier and plan to make the UV seams tomorrow. When I all done I'm gonna make some spheres for eyes and to paint those in 3D-Coat.

Here is a picture

https://docs.google....SEhTOWJUXy00LWc

Robert

• Advanced Member

Hi Robert,

for those of us who don't have a Google account, viewing your work is a hassle. The standard is to use the forum's display in "More Reply Options" where your image will be shown in your post. ;)

Thanks Tony - When I try to do that it has been telling me I am not allowed. I will try it again next time.

• Contributor

"Have to make UV seams?" Is the top image the latest? I find hands benefit from a seam that separates back from palm. It looks like a couple of reversed normals on the shoulders that affect your renders. The bottom image shows a different UV layout, Which one is currant?

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

"Have to make UV seams?" Is the top image the latest? I find hands benefit from a seam that separates back from palm. It looks like a couple of reversed normals on the shoulders that affect your renders. The bottom image shows a different UV layout, Which one is currant?

Thanks, the top one is the latest. I'm gonna to the hands and feet the way described. I also found some missing polygons when I exported to 3D model programs to take a look. I went back and found some N-GON and a few spots I had not closed

• Advanced Member

Thanks, the top one is the latest. I'm gonna to the hands and feet the way described. I also found some missing polygons when I exported to 3D model programs to take a look. I went back and found some N-GON and a few spots I had not closed

Thanks, these will be helpful. Also wanta thank you, Tony and everyone here that has posted. This community is great!

• Advanced Member

Here's a good tut to maybe help with what you're trying to do. He has some others that you may find worth checking out.

Here is another:

Wow I love 3D-Coat. I was only a few seconds into the top video and learned something about a tool I did not realize until now. For some game engine forums I had a C# working written and working before anybody responded to my post. I hope I can master these various tools and give back like what I am getting here.

Not to go off topic but my C# script was for calling a mount for a horse in rpg type of game. I look forward to helping others with that on Game Engine forums.

I have two children that tare in college for Graphic design and related things. I plan to get them 3D-Coat licenses if they are interested and eventually Zbrush. My daughter got me into using a wacom tablet. Now I don't know what I ever did without it(-: We don't live in the same state but we be on Skype and Face book all the time together. They love that there dad is making a video game. Life is good

Back to retopo now. LOL

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I redid the UV loops after watching the first video. I look forward to doing it again after I fix the hands some. I like the way you can do these things in 3DC without having to remember a bunch of hot keys and menus.

Here it is. On my PC I had to scroll to the right to see the UV set.

post-12483-0-76966900-1356757241_thumb.j

• Reputable Contributor

Wow I love 3D-Coat. I was only a few seconds into the top video and learned something about a tool I did not realize until now. For some game engine forums I had a C# working written and working before anybody responded to my post. I hope I can master these various tools and give back like what I am getting here.

Not to go off topic but my C# script was for calling a mount for a horse in rpg type of game. I look forward to helping others with that on Game Engine forums.

I have two children that tare in college for Graphic design and related things. I plan to get them 3D-Coat licenses if they are interested and eventually Zbrush. My daughter got me into using a wacom tablet. Now I don't know what I ever did without it(-: We don't live in the same state but we be on Skype and Face book all the time together. They love that there dad is making a video game. Life is good

Back to retopo now. LOL

If you that's something...you should consider a 3DConnexion device. You can find a SpacePilot (what I use, and Phil...one of the moderators on here) on E-Bay for dirt cheap. Lots of programmable buttons, so you don't have to constantly reach for the keyboard.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I redid the UV loops after watching the first video. I look forward to doing it again after I fix the hands some. I like the way you can do these things in 3DC without having to remember a bunch of hot keys and menus.

Here it is. On my PC I had to scroll to the right to see the UV set.

post-12483-0-76966900-1356757241_thumb.j

Now when export the skin colors from the High Res model don't export. I just get a gray model with the UV islands that I made. It worked yesterday. I can't figure out why the texture is not transferring now. I made the UV while in the Retopo room and then exported. I think that is what I did yesterday. Any advice?

Thanks

post-12483-0-92770300-1356760277_thumb.j

If you that's something...you should consider a 3DConnexion device. You can find a SpacePilot (what I use, and Phil...one of the moderators on here) on E-Bay for dirt cheap. Lots of programmable buttons, so you don't have to constantly reach for the keyboard.

Thanks