3DCoat Forums
welchrs64

3D-Coat Retopology in 4.0 Beta

Thanks for the link to install 3ds Max keyboard navigation and shortcuts. I used to model in 3ds Max all the time, and bought Deep Paint 3D for texture painting. It was really cool at the time....but had almost no tutorials for it, and as you mentioned; some of these smaller software apps don't have much support or upgrades. It has been a dead product for years now. So, that's where 3D Coat came in. BodyPaint 3D was kind of a standard at the time, but it was too expensive and now is pretty much tied to C4D. I also bought 3DC because it had fairly good sculpting ability and I really didn't feel the need to fork out $700 for ZBrush, just to be able to do the same thing. At Andrew's pace of development and his willingness to respond to user input and feature requests, I knew it would be just a matter of time before he caught up with them (in terms of speed, features and refinement). I now do practically all my modeling and UV layout in 3D Coat, even though 3ds Max is a really powerful modeler, itself. I watched some of Leigh Bamforth's DVD tutorials on modeling from scratch in 3D Coat, a few years back, and got hooked on it. Kind of a "Reverse Modeling" concept (similar to building a model from ZSpheres and primitives in ZB). Build it all in Voxels and sculpt...all in the same environment > Retopo/Autopo (easy as tracing or Paint by numbers, because the model is already built) > UV > Merge to Paint Room for texturing > export via Applink (to 3ds Max) > Rig and Render there. Like 3D Coat, Blender has come a long, long way...so much so, that I am tempted almost daily to switch to using it's Cycles Rendering engine. It is very impressive...especially considering that it is very much out in front with GPU acceleration technology (involving CUDA, which both of our cards support). So, perhaps you should look into it, for your in-game video clips, or even stills. It even has a built-in Compositing module, as well as Video Editing. They recently updated the flame and smoke sim tools. It's really amazing to see this much creative power in a free application.

That plugin for Blender made a big difference. When I tried modeling off ref images a while back when I first attempted Blender without I just wouldn't happen for being overwhelmed with hot keys. I started this at lunch time in just a few minutes. I'll prop make most of my body parts in 3DC and ZB but I still need to be able to Box model and progress in Blender. Please try that plugin. It's great!

post-12483-0-72819500-1357759665_thumb.p

Hello My 3D-Coat Community! I have been away from 3D-Coat for two weeks so Icould learn the parts of Blender that I need for modeling, animation, and rigging. As I stated early in the forum I plan to have 3DC and Blender be the main parts of my Game Devlopment Studio anlong with Unity Game Engine. Zbrush and a few other tools are just complimentary for me. I love the before mentioned three software's more than I can do justice with words.

Well I learned Blenders modeling tools better to the point do all the things that I used to only be able to do in Carras 8 and 3Ds Max. I started rigging lesson from youtube videos and now can rigg and weight paint in Blender as well. I'm comfortable in resuming my 3DC learning and work on my character further now. I needed a lot of repetition so that I would not have to relearn Blender basics everytime I open it. It was not that hard. Blender gets a bad rep for no reason.

Here is brief video I made with a few tips and showing the rigg. After rigging a free character from theFree3DModels.com yesterday successfully I was able to rigg my character from start to finish in about an hour. That included the weight pain repairs.

Last note. I learned how important it is is to keep the model and or retopolgy neat. The free Character I rigged in 10 minutes. MY own Character the rigging part took about 20 minutes before I moved on to weight paint it. The original Character from last year was so sloppy it could not be rigged easily at all so it's skeleton from Mixamo will stay in it forever. LOL So needless to say when I get back to work on my 3DC project, as AbnRanger suggested to me on one of the post regarding my character breastplate, I won't be cutting any corners. LOL

Cool. Making good progress, it seems. With Autodesk's recent price increases, I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon, so I'm going to be digging into Blender myself.

• Like 1

Cool. Making good progress, it seems. With Autodesk's recent price increases, I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon, so I'm going to be digging into Blender myself.

Great news AbnRanger! I have also been exploring Blender, and so far I like it very much!

Because of your great 3D-Coat tutorials, I am looking forward to some great Blender tutorials from you in the future!

• Like 1

Blender is a good app to learn.

The serie 2.6x is still in alpha state.

The 2.7x drop some internal compatibility.

The 2.8x will be more stable and compatible. This will be the real launch like a professional app.

If any1 is interested to read the roadmap:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?227830-Blender-2-6x-development-thread&p=2235920&viewfull=1#post2235920

I just got some free one on one training via Skypr share screen from a Blender Guru. I learned how to make a control rig. Blender is going well I can model, keyframe animate, paint, rigg, weight paint, and now make a control rigg. I will be focus more back on 3D Coat and my Unity game now while always keep moving forward with 3DC, Blender and Zbursh.

I rigged my 3DC project I shared earlier in this forum now I look forward to redoing that 3DC work and rigging it in Blender again.

I'm loven Blender.

I downloaded (upgraded from 2.64) Blender 2.66 the other day. it is great and even more so a great companion to 3DC with its new features. I set mine up with layouts that are almost controlled just like Maya and 3dsMax. Here is a screen shot.

post-12483-0-78571000-1361676455_thumb.p

Been a while since I was on 3D-Coat. I have been studying other tools and aspect of Game Development. Going between Zbrush 3D Coat and blender has gotten easier but I have a long way to go. This is where I am at with this character now. I will be doing some of retopo and painting in 3D-Coat like I did with the previous revision earlier in this thread. 

Here is video of some of my making this revision of the Game Character for my game.

post-12483-0-38172100-1386136614_thumb.j

post-12483-0-20538400-1386136847_thumb.p

post-12483-0-38610200-1386136855_thumb.p

post-12483-0-16872100-1386136862_thumb.p

post-12483-0-32248000-1386136871_thumb.p

Edited by welchrs64
  • Like 1