3DCoat Forums
calyps

editing object/world space normals?

I'm about to lose my mind.

I'm trying to reduce seams between my hand model and body model and both use object/world normals. When I import my normals they look all messed up (really black areas with severe seams where there should be no seams).

Am I correct in assuming that 3d Coat does not work with anything but tangent space normals?

Should I just use flat shade and import and work on them as diffuse textures?

post-21276-0-02236500-1355886827_thumb.j

This program costs a lot of money to provide no support for anything but tangeant normals.

Have you tried to change the normals in the preferences panel (EDIT menu > Preferences)? Also, if you don't get an answer on these forums, try emailing support.

In 3D-Coat you may not import World normalmaps as normalmaps. But you may import them as regular color layer and remove seams operating via color (using smooth and painting) and then export fixed maps as color maps.

Ah, well, thanks for the response. That's what I ended up doing (with flat shade on to avoid lighting seams between separate meshes). If skyrim is any indication though, it might be worth preparing for future games supporting a wider variety of normal map types. A good seamless set of world normals really do eliminate pesky seams like neck seams and such.

It is a bit tricky, but if you know HLSL/GLSL you may modify shaders/obj_tbn.hlsl shader to treat color as world normalmaps (it may not be official solution because you will not see color in ths case). Of course usual color will not be seen in this case, but you may use such shaders for some temporary purposes like this one and then replace by default.