3DCoat Forums

Blender User, new to 3DC needs a little advise

TFrank

Hello,

I've been using Blender, GIMP, and Photoshop for a couple years and I want to add a new tool to my box.

I think 3DC is the right one but I need a little assurance before I drop the cash.

I've downloaded the demo and played with it for a few days.

I did the little mouse sculpt tutorial and I have imported a model from Blender to play in the paint room.

3DC seems really capable and comfortably intuitive in most cases.

My concern is that what I have done with 3DC is really simple and therefore, will my hardware be capable of doing detailed sculpts and maps as I learn and push the capabilities of 3DC?

What parts of 3DC might I have trouble using with my hardware?

I am running Win 7 64 bit on an

i7 CPU @ 2.66GHz. with 16 GB of ram

ATI Radeon HD 5700 graphics card with a GB of memory

I have a Wacom Intuos4 as well.

Is this enough to really use 3DC or is it going to fall on its face the first time I try to sculpt a full character?

Advise and opinions are welcome.

Here are the kinds of models I've done so far but i would like to start creating more detail.

post-21381-0-75942400-1356056694_thumb.jpost-21381-0-87527500-1356056695_thumb.jpost-21381-0-84934000-1356056696_thumb.jpost-21381-0-94377600-1356056697_thumb.j

• Reputable Contributor

Hello,

I've been using Blender, GIMP, and Photoshop for a couple years and I want to add a new tool to my box.

I think 3DC is the right one but I need a little assurance before I drop the cash.

I've downloaded the demo and played with it for a few days.

I did the little mouse sculpt tutorial and I have imported a model from Blender to play in the paint room.

3DC seems really capable and comfortably intuitive in most cases.

My concern is that what I have done with 3DC is really simple and therefore, will my hardware be capable of doing detailed sculpts and maps as I learn and push the capabilities of 3DC?

What parts of 3DC might I have trouble using with my hardware?

I am running Win 7 64 bit on an

i7 CPU @ 2.66GHz. with 16 GB of ram

ATI Radeon HD 5700 graphics card with a GB of memory

I have a Wacom Intuos4 as well.

Is this enough to really use 3DC or is it going to fall on its face the first time I try to sculpt a full character?

Advise and opinions are welcome.

Here are the kinds of models I've done so far but i would like to start creating more detail.

post-21381-0-75942400-1356056694_thumb.jpost-21381-0-87527500-1356056695_thumb.jpost-21381-0-84934000-1356056696_thumb.jpost-21381-0-94377600-1356056697_thumb.j

With LiveClay, you can reach some ridiculous levels of detail, but one of the great things about 3D Coat is that you have live image-based (normal map/displacement map) sculpting, to use, if you like, for all the micro detail work. It's much more efficient with things like pores and ultra-fine wrinkles, etc.

nice models !

i bought -1 year ago- the edu version

Limitations

2K max textures size

7 layers max at paint room

take me 9 month to understand the 3DC work philosophy

now tkxs the 3D-Coat Christmas Sale

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10894&pid=84649&st=0entry84649

i upgraded to full just to do a prof work

if you are a hobbyist... the kay_Eva suggestion is good

continue to try the demo with more complex characters

using the demo you canT export/import textures or .objs... but you can to continue learning the soft

Thanks everyone.

I've been playing with 3DS all day and it continues to impress.

I think I will be buying it before the special purchase price ends.

carlosa,

You mentioned that the demo is limited, however, I have imported and exported from Blender.

I also opened a photoshop map with 12 layers in the paint room. I added a couple more and then exported the diffuse and displacement maps to my desktop.

Not sure why mine is working that way but it sure makes for a nice demo.

I downloaded it straight from the 3DC site so it's not hacked or anything.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks everyone.

I've been playing with 3DS all day and it continues to impress.

I think I will be buying it before the special purchase price ends.

carlosa,

You mentioned that the demo is limited, however, I have imported and exported from Blender.

I also opened a photoshop map with 12 layers in the paint room. I added a couple more and then exported the diffuse and displacement maps to my desktop.

Not sure why mine is working that way but it sure makes for a nice demo.

I downloaded it straight from the 3DC site so it's not hacked or anything.

It's not limited if you are using the 30day trial. After that, it goes into demo mode.