3DCoat Forums

Retopo to UV Room and/or Paint Room

alvordr

• Advanced Member

Hello. I have a situation that seems to arise with 3D coat, where I've modeled something in the Voxel Room, and right clicked on it to send it to the Retopo room with Autotopology...tweaked the topology and even UV unwrapped in the Retopo Room. The problem is that the UV set doesn't show up in the UV Room, nor can I see anything in the Paint Room. What am I missing in the workflow?

Thanks.

• Reputable Contributor

Hello. I have a situation that seems to arise with 3D coat, where I've modeled something in the Voxel Room, and right clicked on it to send it to the Retopo room with Autotopology...tweaked the topology and even UV unwrapped in the Retopo Room. The problem is that the UV set doesn't show up in the UV Room, nor can I see anything in the Paint Room. What am I missing in the workflow?

Thanks.

I have never clicked to go through the process (Autopo to Ptex or PPP, etc), so I don't know how well they work. I always just use Autopo, layout UV's and then send the mesh to the Paint Room through the Retopo Menu, as Daniel pointed out. There should only be this one option for Autopo, if the user has to go into the Retopo menu regardless. I agree, it makes no sense to have 4 Autopo selections if they all involve the same steps.

• Advanced Member

Well I've got a new situation related to this...where I autotopo'd for per pixel painting and then realize that I need to do the retopology manually. However, now I have no apparent way to update my UVs in the UV room, despite updating them in the retopo room. I'm lost as to why the two aren't connected.

The UV room just displays the original autotopo'd topology and won't update to my new one. I'm clearly going through some growing pains here. I can model and texture well enough, as you can see in my last shot, but I'm trying to get the poly count really low.

Retopo Room Screenshot:

RetopoRoom.jpg

UV Room Screenshot:

UVRoom.jpg

Paint_Room With Wire (Why is the topology the old topology?):

Paint_Room.jpg

Render:

Rock_1_Render.jpg

• Advanced Member

Any help with the problems (screenshots) above would be awesome. In the wireframe shot, it looks like I have 2 meshes sitting on top of one another. I also find myself having to turn off visibility of the voxels in the voxel room when I'm in the paint room after a Autotopo for Per Pixel.

Each time you create new topology, (automatically), you create a new Retopo Group - and each time you merge this topology into the Paint Room, you create new "Objects" in the Tweak Room - as well as new texture painting layers.

Unless you use the "eye" icon and hide these various groups and layers, you will see them overlapping.

Even if you have created a new, manual Retopo Group - the UV Room will not display this new, unwrapped Group unless you first Merge the Retopo Group into the Paint Room (Retopo Menu/Merge . . . . ).

If things get too confusing and you want to start from scratch, just delete all of the Paint Room layers, the Tweak Room "Objects" and your unwanted Retopo Groups - and try again.

Turning off Voxels while in the Paint Room is, indeed, necessary - unless you are painting vertex colors - otherwise you will see the Voxel object interfering with your Retopo mesh (which is the one you wish to texture).

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

Greg,

I was fighting with the UI, where I could delete listed items in the Paint Room or Voxel Room, etc. using the trash can and then confused how to do it in th Tweak Room, where I finally realized there was an X beside the objects there. I may suggest to Pilgway that there be a consistent UI throughout for functions like that. For now, this helped greatly. Thank you.

The other thing that I'm stuck on is that I can see my new low-poly UVs in the Retopo room, but if I go to the UV Room, I'm stuck with the mid-poly UV set. I don't understand why they don't act in unison.

I tried to export the model, telling it I wanted to 'Export Low-Poly Mesh' and when I pull it into Max, it's the mid-poly. Is this a bug?

• Advanced Member

Um...ok...well that was weird. I just hit Undo twice in the UV room and all of a sudden it matches up with my Retopo low poly unwrap. Did I inadvertently fix my problem the way it's supposed to work, or did I uncover a helpful flaw?

This also allowed me to export the low-poly mesh, as intended. I had a lone vert sitting in the middle of an edge, however, so I had to remove that in Max.

• Advanced Member

OK, so I got this almost to the finish...working on getting lone polys out of the mesh in the Retopo Room (wish there was an auto feature for this, but then even Max doesn't have it). I also have the following result...which I can't figure out why it's happening. The exported mesh with textures gives me a line in certain poly's, as if the smoothing groups are wrong. I tried to fix this manually in Max, but to no avail. All the faces around those particular areas were set to smoothing group 4, so this shouldn't be happening.

SmoothGroupsOff.png

• 5 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Kind of old thread here, but I'm having a similar issue working on UVs in Retopo room, but whenever I rebake to ppp, the uvs revert in the UV room to auto seams, or the old version of UVs I'm not sure.

I've deleted the paint object and surface material between bakes, but to no avail. It is not honouring the UVs I've made in the Retopo room...

On 10/30/2014 at 10:16 AM, AbnRanger said:

The UV tools in the Retopo Room are practically a mirror of those in the UV room. UV's on a model in the Paint room are to be edited in the UV room. UV's on a Retopo Mesh are done right inside that same workspace. The first part of this video helps to explain that a bit:

• Advanced Member

OK I think my confusion comes from the slight inconsistency between terminology between the UV room (which I'm more used to) and the Retopo room. I think in the UV room as you make changes you Apply the UV set, while in the Retopo room you need to hit Unwrap.

Thanks for the help Carlosan.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

The video is helpful to explain that retopo and UV room should be thought of as separate and not interchangeable. Just a thought - maybe switch the 2 buttons around so they are closer to the rooms they relate to? Also, it might be helpful to explain in the unwrap tool for the retopo room that Uvs are automatically applied (no "Apply UV Set" needed) - this confused me because I was thinking more uniformly since most of the other UV room tools are just there in the retopo room. Thanks for the helpful video!