3DCoat Forums

How Would You Handle This?

alvordr

• Advanced Member

Hello all. I have a bucket that I made some time back with 3ds Max and brought into Mudbox. I painted it and render it out and put it into the UDK. It was OK for the time I had to do it, but now I want to try my hand at voxelizing it in 3DC and going through the motions. I have sculpted in details in the Voxel Room, but any time I Autoretopo this, it's aweful. Am I stuck with doing this one by hand?

Voxelized Bucket:

VoxelizedBucket.jpg

Autoretopo Problem:

AutoretopoBucketProblem.jpg

I wouldn't retopologize this at all. Since you already modeled it, in the retopo room to to Retopo>Import and browse to the mesh file, select it and import. Now you have your mesh file that you already modeled in as a retopology mesh and you can now use the Retopo>Merge with (your chosen paint method), this will bake all the details you sculted in the vox/surf modes to the retopo mesh and create a new texture map for it in the paint room.

Now you can export in your desired format for the mesh and textures. Voila. :)

Hope that helps.

• Advanced Member

Javis,

Great response. That little bit of workflow is so elusive to someone struggling to learn 3D-Coat. For a long time the only way I knew to get my work out of the voxel room was to retopologize it from scratch. Now I frequently model a low poly base shape in Blender as a first step. I use that mesh as a starting place for voxel sculpting and then again as a retopo mesh as you described in your post, above.

• Reputable Contributor

Javis,

Great response. That little bit of workflow is so elusive to someone struggling to learn 3D-Coat. For a long time the only way I knew to get my work out of the voxel room was to retopologize it from scratch. Now I frequently model a low poly base shape in Blender as a first step. I use that mesh as a starting place for voxel sculpting and then again as a retopo mesh as you described in your post, above.

Tried to describe that a bit in the "Common Workflows" video. If you created a low poly model outside of 3D Coat, there is little to no reason to do rebuild the model or topology again. Sure you may opt to tweak the topology in the Retopo room, in order to better conform to any changes you made in the Voxel Room

Not only can you re-use the original mesh, but even if you need to make some major structural changes to the model in the Voxel Sculpting room, you can force 3D Coat to conform your original mesh to the voxel object. It works really well.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I wouldn't retopologize this at all. Since you already modeled it, in the retopo room to to Retopo>Import and browse to the mesh file, select it and import. Now you have your mesh file that you already modeled in as a retopology mesh and you can now use the Retopo>Merge with (your chosen paint method), this will bake all the details you sculted in the vox/surf modes to the retopo mesh and create a new texture map for it in the paint room.

Now you can export in your desired format for the mesh and textures. Voila. :)

Hope that helps.

Javis,

OK, I imported the original mesh from the Retopo Room's, Retopo > Import. I then clicked Retopo > Merge with NM (Per-Pixel), but nothing happened. I can't see anything in any room, except the Voxel and the Retopo Room, as before. Did I miss something?

EDIT: Never mind. Apparently, I had to know to hit 'ENTER' to commit the import. Once I did that I was able to unwrap it. Then I did the merge operation mentioned above and WHAM! There it was. Thanks again for that invaluable advice!

• Advanced Member

Hmm...well I thought I had it. The bucket is unwrapped, appears in every room, but I can't paint on it at all. I tried using the Merge patch (Per-Pixel) method and have the same issue. I can't even see the light anymore (even with Ambient and light intensity all the way up), so my model is black.

I then tried to use the last method, MergeForDP_Disp. It appears to let me paint on the voxel mesh in the paint room, and the changes show up in the voxel room, also. However there doesn't appear to be any wireframe with it.