3DCoat Forums

Freeze Not Working Right?

alvordr

• Advanced Member

Hello. I have another thing that's popping up. When I try to Freeze by Sub-Object, and pick button1, which should be the middle button here, I get the top one frozen in a particular area, also. Meanwhile, I even if I try to freeze just the top one, it's got an area in the top left that doesn't want to texture of freeze properly. I've tried going into Max, where I created these, and assigning a new Material ID to each. I tried UV unwrapping these again. I also can't paint a freeze on the top one complete, by hand. Nothing works...

FreezeNotWorking.jpg

• Advanced Member

OK, I fixed it, but the did it was to uncheck export of smoothing groups, texture coordinates, export materials, and create mat-library from within 3ds Max upon export to OBJ. It might have been just one of those options, but I don't have time to run it down.

EDIT: I take it back...still not working and now even worse. I'm thinking that Freeze is messed up.

• Advanced Member

Greg,

Hey. I'm using 3.7.18F (or H) and 3ds Max 2011. In Max, I modeled a TV set, and separate dials that I showed in the picture above. I selected everything and exported both as FBX and OBJ. I then imported for per-pixel painting into 3DC and tried to freeze the dials so that I could paint the TV and each dial separately. That's when I found this problem. I cannot seem to fix it, but simply make it worse, no matter how I export. It's odd, but then this is the first time I've used the Freeze tools. I don't doubt it may be something I'm missing, but I just don't know what.

• Advanced Member

I'm tried to import it into ZBrush, to see if exporting it back out from there helps. I did find, though, upon import into ZB that the mesh contains 570 unused vertices. Not sure why. The mesh looked absolutely botched up. After that, I did a GOZ from Max to ZB and it looked fine in ZB. Now, I can export out from ZB to 3DC, but the problem is I only know how to do this for each piece. This will likely ultimately help, but doesn't allow me to export everything at once, as I have done before.

• Advanced Member

OK, so I put each object of the TV set in ZBrush (the TV housing, the 3 dials, the screen, and the backing). I exported each out as an OBJ and imported each into the same scene in 3DC. Attempted to merge for per-pixel painting, tweaked the unwrap in the UV room and all is fine, except one thing. I can only see one complete TV set in the paint room, and I'm not able to freeze by sub-object, each object. It treats the whole thing as one combined object.

I still don't know what I'm doing wrong in Max.