3DCoat Forums

2 New 3DCoat brushes - Flatten and Polish

artman

• Reputable Contributor

I really felt we lacked good flattening in 3DCoat leading to me me discussing with Raul about this that somehow leaded to Flattenclay brush,which is a good brush but it is not very responsive in all situation due to being very heavy also it does not work very well in narrow spaces and since it relies a lot by a kind of "massaging" the surface in circle motions it didn't work very well to do beveling as well.

Other flattening solutions like current SF Flatten and Chisel felt more like Trimming brushes meaning they are very hard brush ...very good to trim fast sharp angles but working very bad to freeform more organic hard surface forms where brush pressure is needed and both were impossible to use in narrow spaces.

So here are two new brushes i made to respond to this lack,

although I made tons of brushes this is the first time I feel I made some that can truly benefit the whole community

and not just me and my own approach to sculpting.

Both are surface mode brushes,and they work by constantly brushing over surface....like a polishing motion

You can load .preset file from preset tab menu.

1-artman Flatten is very good flatten brush with good pressure and feeling.

2-artman Polish is a gentle flatten made to smooth down imperfections without the buttery look of usual smoothing,

Very close to artman Flatten but gentler and more forgiving.

I just put my name in so they are easy to be found if user got tons of presets...you can of course rename them as you wish.

post-1195-0-50975900-1357394122_thumb.jp

additional info:

I use intuos4 with TipFeel crancked one notch to the left from center in control panel Wacom settings.

I also work with the spring nib.Not working with the spring nib is like praying each morning for carpal tunnel syndrome IMO

So have fun!! and you can post some of your testing here if you like. :)

note;

I don't recommend tweaking any settings of those brushes.

They do not work very well in non-inverted mode...they add too much ...so if you want filling/flattening of large soft indents better use Fill tool with gigantic value like 400% and use Reduce over area if Fill tool is unresponsive.)

You can crank depth a little in Flatten brush but Polish is really made to work with low depth.

But nevertheless if you still want to always use custom depth just uncheck depth check box from presets tab menu and update the preset

Desactivating RemoveStretching will improve speed but I feel it is more appropriate to leave it activated,

anyway speed is already very good....and I use a very weak computer,

Thanks Artman. :good:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member

i cant find the artman brush presets pack ( like the big one). They wont working for me so i cleared the presets, now can't find where to get em :(

anyone have a link?

Hey again Aleksey! All of Artmans presets are included with 3DC new, they are part of the default installer.

The issue for this is solve pretty much the same way: Re-installation. Hope this helps! (the other thread has more information).

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

i cant find the artman brush presets pack ( like the big one). They wont working for me so i cleared the presets, now can't find where to get em :(

anyone have a link?

If I delete all my config files and re-install, I don't get the Presets, either. Somebody mentioned a big workaround (like moving all folders in the MyDoc's/3D Coat V4 directory...installing and then renaming the folders, etc), but that shouldn't be necessary.

• Advanced Member

could someone just upload artmans latest brushes as an installable file?

wouldn't that be the simplest and most convenient way? don't really want to re-install everything for something that used to be addable with a file.