3DCoat Forums
alvordr

[Solved] Invert Cut Off Tool

There appears to be no way to invert the cutoff tool, except by pressing shift. However, that also makes it draw a perfect circle (if you're using a circle spline) and I would rather use an oblong, inverted cutoff. How do you do this?

At this point, I think you will have to use the spline tool and approximate an ellipsoid - and use the "Shift" key. Not ideal, but it may produce the result you need.

Greg Smith

The "Extrude" tool does not perform a "boolean" function like the "Cutoff" tool does.

But, it had totally escaped my notice that we now have a dedicated "Ellipse" tool in the "E" panel. Try that one in conjunction with the "Shift" modifier.

I tested this, also, with symmetry - but using "Shift" causes the entire object to disappear (Mac version). I'll let Andrew and Sergy know.

Greg Smith

Greg,

Yes, that's the functionality I saw, as well. This is what brought this up. I think it's just an unintended lack of function or bug.

Sounds like the way to go, but you can't get it to add to the same thickness without a bunch of trial and error. I already went down that road. Good thought though.

Perhaps this is a good place to mention it, when you use CTRL + SHIFT with the cut off tool IN SYMETRY MODE, it just deletes everything. The symmetry is leaking into the functionality in an unwanted way. This should be fixed to work as expected (all though I get why it deletes everything but it`s obviously not what you want)

Bug reported.

Thx !

//edit

solved on latest version