3DCoat Forums

Me as a klingon, a work in progress(-:

welchrs64

• Advanced Member

@OrinDoon Hunter Thanks! I'm thinking about doing a FBM. I had originally just did this to practice 3D-Coat but then I got to thinking if I finish everything I start whether it is for my video game or not I'll get better at using these tools.

@Tony Nemo - :rofl: LOL

Man i totaly know what you mean on that one. What are you working on? and Even if you don't finish it when you get it polished some more you could get a cheep 3d printer and build the bust and paint it as a display in your house ^^ that would be totaly awsome. I want one and will be getting one next year or so. but back to the game, Id love to hear more about it. I myself am working on a fan remake of Turok 64, but my brain works at the speed of a hyper active child having a sugar rush sometimes so i tend to jump from one project to the next which is why i have so many sculpts already.

• Advanced Member

Man i totaly know what you mean on that one. What are you working on? and Even if you don't finish it when you get it polished some more you could get a cheep 3d printer and build the bust and paint it as a display in your house ^^ that would be totaly awsome. I want one and will be getting one next year or so. but back to the game, Id love to hear more about it. I myself am working on a fan remake of Turok 64, but my brain works at the speed of a hyper active child having a sugar rush sometimes so i tend to jump from one project to the next which is why i have so many sculpts already.

Thanks for the encouragement. They have 3D printer at work and I can print something. I might have to buy or pay for the printing material. I will try that.

This the forum link that has the development of the version 2 of my main Game Character that I have been working on in 3DC. I have two game projects. One is a RPG/Tomb Raider type set in a Fantasy World that the character gets ported to. The other game is a 3rd person shooter Mass Effect type style game that will also use the same character and others. The good people on the 3DC forum gave me a lot of pointers that help make progress on my main Character retopo wise, texture painting wise, and much more but I still have a ways to go and I'm loving the journey.

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10879&st=40

Yeah that looks awesome you have gotten much further then i have in unity >< i prefer UDK though the scripting is much tougher though and its a bit more complicated but i love the rendering engine. yeah I had to learn retopo the hard way but when you master it its very useful and to be quite honest I love the retopo tools in 3d coat they are super intuitive and very helpful the only problem is if your doing them by hand you should clean them up in blender or max or something if your making hard edges, but other then that 3d coat is becoming irreplaceable in my workflow so I cant wait to buy it when my income tax available.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Yeah that looks awesome you have gotten much further then i have in unity >< i prefer UDK though the scripting is much tougher though and its a bit more complicated but i love the rendering engine. yeah I had to learn retopo the hard way but when you master it its very useful and to be quite honest I love the retopo tools in 3d coat they are super intuitive and very helpful the only problem is if your doing them by hand you should clean them up in blender or max or something if your making hard edges, but other then that 3d coat is becoming irreplaceable in my workflow so I cant wait to buy it when my income tax available.

Thanks! - I like the UDK also and my son, 21 Graphic Art student, kinda urged me to learn it but Unity has been easier for me at this point because it uses c# scripting which was easier for me to pick up coming from some prior Job Related Ansi C programming. I hope to do something with the UDK someday.

I agree the 3DC retopo tools are very intuitive and easy to work with. I have had a ball this past few weeks learning them and using them.

I look forward to seeing some of your UDK stuff.I am a fan of Turok 64. I still have my Nentindo 64 and some my kids and I on rare occasion still play four player Golden eye on it. I look forward to seeing your remake.

Well Rather then Link bomb your thread and hijack it i put links in a signature that you can check out if you would like.

UDK scripting language is akin to java and c# so you may have little trouble with it when you get to learning it though i hate the way you have to script then run the compiler taking you out of the engine alltogether, i still enjoy the

editor workflow and the material editor is by far my fav part. its so cool its a node based material editor and can do some really amazing things.

• Advanced Member

Well Rather then Link bomb your thread and hijack it i put links in a signature that you can check out if you would like.

UDK scripting language is akin to java and c# so you may have little trouble with it when you get to learning it though i hate the way you have to script then run the compiler taking you out of the engine alltogether, i still enjoy the

editor workflow and the material editor is by far my fav part. its so cool its a node based material editor and can do some really amazing things.

Wow those shots look great. I look forward to watching you continue with the UDK project and the other ones. I remember clicking like on the winged character. I did not realize that was you until just now(-: I like the way the dinosaur seem to almost walk out of the screen at me in the youtube video. Your game looks great in the UDK. I subscribed to your youtube.

yeah the super metroid thing i was playing with was for learning UDK mostly I would never be able to finish something that big nor would nintendo let me lol. I love super metroid its one of the only side scrollers i adore i hate most of them.

I have a lot of time invested in 3d art. but am just learning sculpting and having a ton of fun doing it^^

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I know what you mean. I came into this a year ago expecting just to come up to speed on scripting and found my self very deep in the art pipeline and having a ball. I got most of the things I need for the game working like blowing stuff up, making the level, Controlling the Characters, and AI. Then I realized that the harder part for me was the Art and the story telling. Don't get me wrong I am no where near where i plan to be game mechanics wise but the Art side and story seen be a bigger hill to climb. It has been very educational. I feel like I learn something new every day and that opens doors to further understanding and participation in the indie Art/Game community and progress with my game.

yeah i find scripting to be insuferable lol. I do it when i must but dont really enjoy it much personally i just really enjoy doing stills more then anything. im learning more about animation and stuff too, UDK is not friendly to me at all lol with the scripting stuff. I may resurect my metroid remake thing for fun gotta start from scratch on it sadly cause i lost the files for it befor but with 3d coat and some digging on the internet i should be able to get stuff back up to speed. I noticed the lepord print on your character are you using that as a place holder or are you just not finished with the skin? textures are one of my weaknesses by far in the artistic part for sure.

• Advanced Member

yeah i find scripting to be insuferable lol. I do it when i must but dont really enjoy it much personally i just really enjoy doing stills more then anything. im learning more about animation and stuff too, UDK is not friendly to me at all lol with the scripting stuff. I may resurect my metroid remake thing for fun gotta start from scratch on it sadly cause i lost the files for it befor but with 3d coat and some digging on the internet i should be able to get stuff back up to speed. I noticed the lepord print on your character are you using that as a place holder or are you just not finished with the skin? textures are one of my weaknesses by far in the artistic part for sure.

The Leopard skin is going to be on the final Character. I have a ways to go on the texturing side. These last few weeks that I have spent learning 3DC have showed me that I can eventually get it all the way I want it.

Good luck with the metroid project. I know how it is to loose files, I just had to clean my PC and re-install everything last week. Last year at one point I lost some things when a hard drive went bad..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Not that I can't think of a few things, but what are you scripting in UDK that you can't handle in Kismet?

I think it was the time period, early 2012, that was the real impediment that kept me from getting deeper into UDK. At that time I was trying to get grasp of several aspects of game dev. Unity, that is working fine for me would have probably represented the same challenge during that period of my learning. I love the way things render in UDK and do look forward to revisiting it some day.

• Advanced Member

I'm currently looking for work and/or internship. I'm almost graduated and have a portfolio, but I'm working on changing some of my work so that it looks that much better and cleaner. I've made a few playable levels in both UDK and Unity, and created a fully playable game in Unity, but those were for classes. The time frame I had to do and the fact that I had to do it all myself made it less of a quality product than I know I can do. I'm willing to help out, myself, but I like more of the modeling/art side than the scripting.

• Like 1