3DCoat Forums

3D Coat Video Tutorials: Quick Ramp up

David Schoneveld

• Advanced Member

I've been meaning to make a set of video tutorials that run through my top used features to get someone who has decent 3D experience up to speed with 3D Coat for the first time. Its not meant for beginners to 3D. The ideal person would already be very competent in another 3D package. This is what I always want to find when trying to learn something new. I feel most tutorials spend too much time for me on each tool when I get it pretty quickly.

"I learn the best when someone shows me the basics/most important features and I then go experiment and figure the rest out myself. This series is by no means a compendium of all things 3D Coat, the aim is to show you the most useful features as quickly as possible, which is what I would have wanted when learning a new software package."

Anyway I hope this can help some people learn and get into 3D Coat :D

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

The Maya presentation for Understanding Voxel Sculpting worked great.

Thanks, actually this came from me hearing an engineer explaining voxels to my boss. I realized its not that obvious when explained verbally you kinda have to see it.

I even learned something. I know you could paint on voxels but didn't do it much, and when I tried to explain that I saw you can't paint on voxels its just painting on vertex and 3DC auto converts to surface mode. We all keep learning, I also realized I don't use the airbrush in sculpting b/c I don't really know how it's different from extrude (well I think it's a weaker version of extrude)

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks, actually this came from me hearing an engineer explaining voxels to my boss. I realized its not that obvious when explained verbally you kinda have to see it.

I even learned something. I know you could paint on voxels but didn't do it much, and when I tried to explain that I saw you can't paint on voxels its just painting on vertex and 3DC auto converts to surface mode. We all keep learning, I also realized I don't use the airbrush in sculpting b/c I don't really know how it's different from extrude (well I think it's a weaker version of extrude)

I think with Airbrush, you need to uncheck "Grow on Pen Motion" in order for it to just continue to build under your cursor. Some of them are so near identical that they could be consolidated and the slightly different functions be made an option in the Tool Options panel. This would help de-clutter the UI a bit.