3DCoat Forums

Uv map?

Mirth

I have my model, it has retop and now I need a UV map, but nothing's showing up when I go into that room. I've tried looking it up, but all the tutorials all start with a model that have uv maps or they import it from maya.

I've played around with the uv loop tool in the rotop room, baked materials, unwrapped it and nothing happens besides loading it and acting like something is happening.

Help!

The way the 3DC workflow has been designed, nothing will appear in the UV Room (the place where "permanent" UV Maps reside) until you use one of the "Merge" commands found in the Retopo menu.

Once the model appears in the Paint Room - the UV's you created in the Retopo Room become permanent and will now appear in the UV Room. Until the time of "Merging", the UV Map that you seen in the Retopo Room is only a preview and quite temporary.

Greg Smith

I still can't get it to work, I don't understand how to do this. My model was made in 3Dcoat, retop and coloured. Merging gives it holes all over. I have no layers on and there's this weird hole filled voxel ghost. When I exported the model and brought it in, there were no voxels or retop part and I can't get it to show up in maya.

• 1 month later...

I found this thread when looking for the answer to a related problem. Here's a tip for the benefit of anyone else learning 3DC:

After creating UV's on an imported model, you need to click "Apply UV set" to add the UV's to the model, else when you export it, your UV's won't be there.

• Advanced Member

In the Retopo Room, go to Retopo menu at the top and select one of the merge options (I normally use Merge for NM (Per Pixel)). Follow the prompts and it will layout UVs and send you to the Paint Room. You can at point go to the UV room if you would rather tweak your UVs, but again, you must apply the changes to your model ('Unwrap', 'Pack UV', 'Apply UV-set.').