3DCoat Forums

how to export vertex color map w spec?

popwfx

• Advanced Member

I'm doing some background game objects that don't need full on uv mapping as I'm trying to keep texture RAM down, so I've delved into vertex color painting for the first time and can't seem to figure out how to get the color out of 3DC back into Lightwave.

I've loaded a low poly object with an existing vertex colormap named "myVertexColorMap" into v4 beta10 for vertex painting, and I painted the vertices with color and spec and I did an export model, and the exported model doesn't seem to contain the vertex color painted surface?

Once imported back into LW I can see that 3DC renamed the existing surface name from what it was to "VoxMtl", and my vertex map myVertexColorMap does contain the colors, but no spec? How do I get the model to contain all that I painted? The nodes in the "VoxMtl" created by 3DC is blank.

thanks, sorry, I'm not that familiar with vertex painting, I've never had a need for it before...

• Reputable Contributor

I use vertex color maps in Blender but no specular map is exported in the Ply file either. I have an old lightwave 8 and very rarely use it. I did get the vertex color map to appear in LW but at that time did not have any specular painted. I believe your were asking for the specular to show up, you got the color to appear correct?

I believe but could be incorrect that vertex color maps only support RGB... When you open an obj file (that has vetex color) with your text editor, not the mtl file only RGB appears written to the obj file. I know you are using the LW file format but I looked at the obj file because I was curious...

My Lightwave is so old, I would not be much help there for answering your question in the newer versions but catch me on skype sometime if you can not get the color vertex map to show up if that is what you are asking for and I will help as much as I can...

• Advanced Member

I was able to get the vertex color to show up in Lightwave after all, but I was unable to get 3DCoat's spec values painted to vertices to export. Inside 3DC, it seems each vertex can not only have a color, but can also have a spec value. is there a standard way to display spec vertex color info in Lightwave? I don't want a spec map, because a spec map means more texture ram, I just want the verticies to have spec values in addition to color values outside of 3DC. I hope I'm being clear. Thanks! :)

AbnRanger, thanks for the video, but since these are very low poly objects, and not voxel objects, I don't think that would help...

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, I have asked Andrew the below question in the beta thread...

" Andrew, Both I and Photonvfx have noticed that no specular is exported for a vertex color map. Is that a limitation of vertex color maps not being able to support the specular channel. A bug? or just not written into the export code for vertex color maps that you have compiled at this time? Thanks in advance for your reply."

If Andrew is busy and does not see the question, I will send it via support...