3DCoat Forums
stevoqwerty

Importing obj files for sculpting.

Hi, I'm quite new to 3D Coat, I've made a low poly model in Blender and I wanted to import it to 3D Coat for sculpting, but the options are so confusing and I don't know what to do. So can anyone help me? And also, how do I subdivide while keep some of the edges sharp? Thanks.

When you first open 3D-Coat, you have the option to start "Voxel sculpting" from the dialog. Choose this and click on the "File folder" icon in the next dialog - choosing your Blender file.

You will see your imported object in the 3D Viewport, but very small. Grab the center scale cube on the Gizmo, and scale your imported object until it is at least 1/3 the size of the 3D Viewport. (The larger the initial scale, the higher the Voxel resolution). This should be enough for you to get started.

Start using the various sculpting tools on the left - and experiment with different Brush Alphas (brush tips) on the right from the "Brush" panel. Experiment.

Greg Smith

• Like 1

After you have chosen your file to import, hit the apply button in the pop up options or simply hit 'Enter' to commit it to the scene...then sculpt away.