3DCoat Forums

Add Sculpt layers to Surface Mode

Carlosan

mantis request (please if you like the idea support it with +1 / ty)

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=950

Sculpt layers let you organize your sculpting and combine forms and details in a non-destructive manner.

You can create a layer and then sculpt so that only the new details appear on the new layer.

To modify your sculpting on that layer you can either perform additional sculpting or remove the layer without affecting details on the base mesh. Sculpt layers combine in an additive manner.

They behave much like layer systems in 2D image editing applications such as Photoshop® , but record 3D sculpting information.

-----------------------------------------------------

Sculpt layers let you:

- Maintain sculpted elements separately from one another.

- Adapt to changes in art direction - Form or detail on one layer can be modified or removed without affecting information on other layers.

- Split surface detail for a shader - For example, you can create texture map sets for a shader with separate channels for skin, mud, warts, and scars, then store each channel's detail on a separate layer.

- Explore different design directions - Create a new layer to try out a new idea.

post-10142-0-69764200-1360107782_thumb.p

• Like 2

Great idea, I've been using the displacement painting in the paint room as much as possible for this but direct support within the sculpt room would have it's benefits. Although I do see this requiring some tricks to accomplish with liveclay or voxels, I think this is usually something you see in multi-resolution subdivision sculpting apps.

Thats a great idea. I know that from Mudbox and yes, i realy miss that in 3D Coat.

How could i give a +1?

Please is very important:

every1 that like the idea, please support it adding a +1 at 3DC Mantis Bug Tracker * :)

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=950

* Mantis Is the day by day Andrew dev schedule roadmap

• 3 years later...

+1

At the moment this is the only Con the persuades me not to use it completely over ZBrush.

The ability when sculpting asymmetrically without destructively sculpting the symmetrical mesh on a portrait is very highly desired. Or adding detail on a garment without fear of possibly going back and adjusting the main form and ruining the details. In addition it makes creating blendshape meshes so much easier.

• Reputable Contributor
9 hours ago, SylvanRover said:

+1

At the moment this is the only Con the persuades me not to use it completely over ZBrush.

The ability when sculpting asymmetrically without destructively sculpting the symmetrical mesh on a portrait is very highly desired. Or adding detail on a garment without fear of possibly going back and adjusting the main form and ruining the details. In addition it makes creating blendshape meshes so much easier.

Send an email to support@3dcoat.com, so Andrew knows definitively that many other users REALLY want this feature. I keep reminding him about it, but perhaps he thinks it's just something I want, personally.