3DCoat Forums

Does 3d Coat have a PANEL LOOPS function like ZBrush 4r5?

fneill

UPDATE: I should of search more before I asked this. Sorry about that. I notice there is a great tutorial on hard surface modeling which is similar to zbrushes panel loops. That tutorial is here ...

Does 3DC have a PANEL LOOPS function like that is in the new zbrush 4r5?. I LOVE that function and Iam totally amazed at what it can do. Bet 3dCoat has or will get something similar. Here is info of PANEL LOOPS on youtube ...

http://www.cgmeetup....ryan-kingslien/

post-14679-0-13749400-1360898482_thumb.j

post-14679-0-55045400-1360898493_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

I'm not aware of one. Since 3DC uses voxels, unlike ZBrush, you don't have to add loops to get hard edges. If you want to retopo them in later, you can, and likely should.

The main reason ZBrush needed something like Panel Loops is that if you want those tight close edges to get highly detailed hard edges, ZBrush needed something that puts loops at those spots very close together. ZBrush also relies on the topology matching relatively closely the sculpted piece, as you sculpt. This isn't as absolute as it just sounded, but this is less of an issue during the sculpting phases in 3DC.

• Reputable Contributor

It does seem to provide a nice little indention, that you don't get when using the VoxLayer tool alone, but it can be easily replicated. Create you shape with the new spline stroke draw mode > save the shape > create an indention along the path by inverting the brush action and using a sharp point brush alpha > select the VoxLayer tool > select the Closed Spline draw mode (E-Panel) > select LOAD SHAPE in E-Panel > point to the saved shape > apply the selection in the VoxLayer tool. It requires the usage of two different tools, but it works, and I think it's cleaner....less trouble prone

• 1 year later...
  • 8 years later...
On 2/15/2013 at 5:22 AM, fneill said:

That tutorial is here ...

Hey, can you point me in the right direction, I believe the video you posted no longer exist. I'm trying to figure out how this can be done in a more automated way like in ZBrush. I know I can start creating curves and doing things by hand, but obviously the real feature is the fact that ZBrush will help you generate the panels for you by understanding your mesh/polygroups and generating the required topology.