3DCoat Forums

Tile voxels like UV tile?

tuxmask75

Hi guys! Need some advise before I buy.

Is there a way to sculpt on a mesh and have it behave like the per pixel painting tile option that is available from the start up panel.

To elaborate, Sculpt from one side of the mesh and have it appear on the other side.

Or perhaps is there a way to sculpt across multiple instances so that the line continues threw to the other side of the main instance?

Looking for this so that i can build seamless models for use in my project.

• Reputable Contributor

Hi guys! Need some advise before I buy.

Is there a way to sculpt on a mesh and have it behave like the per pixel painting tile option that is available from the start up panel.

To elaborate, Sculpt from one side of the mesh and have it appear on the other side.

Or perhaps is there a way to sculpt across multiple instances so that the line continues threw to the other side of the main instance?

Looking for this so that i can build seamless models for use in my project.

You do have symmetry throughout the application, so if symmetry is enabled, it will repeat what you sculpt on one side, to the other side, simultaneously. Or you could leave it off and later copy it over, using the Symm Copy (icon at the bottom of the Vox Tree Layer panel. You also have instancing as well.

• Advanced Member

Wow. My eyes saw "sculpt" in the original post, but for some reason my brain interpreted that word as paint. Clearly I need a break from all the stress displacement testing has been causing me. Hope I didn't cause any confusion. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

@ AbnRanger not quite what I'm looking for. I've been threw all the tutorials I could find for 3D coat already.

@Zeddicus no confusion.

Its to bad that 3D coat does not have the feature I'm looking for. perhaps someday it will. and when it does it'll be on my purchase list.

Draw from one side and have it continue to the next in Sculpt mode.

drawh.png

Edited by tuxmask75

• 3 years later...

This mode kind of seems broken,
When I say seems broken, what I mean is that the brush stops at the edge of the central square and the tool make large clumps at the edge where it ends.
Shouldn't it carry over to the next square and allow a continuous line to be drawn so that the line wraps over to the left side of the central square?!
F8rTf8o.png

Edited by tuxmask75
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

What you want might be this

Sandbox Tiling Engine

I made this suggestion back in 2009 so I wouldn't hold your breath.  I can't quite believe I still need this feature in 3DCoat as there is still no elegant way to tile sculpted geometry in any package available.

Please Andrew have another look.

I believe it's also been added to Trello, so pop over there and vote it up.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks for voting Tuxmask,. I have lost count of the times I've needed this tool (and the amount of hours it would have saved me)

I feel that this tool is even more pertinent TODAY with the advent of PBR related texturing.  Imagine being able to create a kit box full of Voxels objects that you have textured with albedo/metallic/roughness etc.  You could place them down in the sandbox tiler, bake and capture all that detail.  It would blast 3DCoat into the stratosphere.

Substance Designer is great but I would use the Sandbox Tiler over that any day, especially if it was created in a clever 'non-destructive' way.  Andrew needs a chat with us before starting to implement it.  I'm sure we all have a ton of ideas about implementation.

30 minutes ago, MorganNilsson said:

Have been tinkering with the tiled 3x3 things to create tileable textures...

And finding this thread is actually a great relief because I was going insane thinking I just could not figure out how to actually use it properly.

Yeah the thing is kind of useless for my needs.

• 3 months later...

Just got this in my email today...

Greetings from the 3D-Coat Development Team!

We appreciate your interest in 3D-Coat. It is exactly 6 years ago when you downloaded the trial version of the program from our site. Given that special occasion, we would like to address you with a personal offer: $100 off the standard price on 3D-Coat 4.7 valid throughout the next 14 days!

That is all nice N stuff, but I'd rather just wait till the feature i'm in need of makes it into 3D Coat before I buy anything.