3DCoat Forums

32-bit Displacement?

alvordr

• Advanced Member

Does anyone know if 3DC can export 32-bit displacement? The reason I ask is that that seems to be the only major feature Topogun has that I'm not sure 3DC has. Other than that, Topogun and 3DC seem pretty on par with each other for retopo and projection mapping.

• Advanced Member

Per pixel painting works good for painting displacement maps that can be exported for 32bit displacement. Make sure to check Show displaced mesh on under the view pull down. This works best for a subdivided mesh. If your mesh isn't subdived (or isn't subdivided much) use Adjust Subpatching to refine how the displacement looks.

PP_displase.jpg

• Advanced Member

Useful information. I have a retopo mesh in the retopo room with three UV sets and using the method you posted (File > Export Model menu in the paint room after merging to pp with nm in the retopo room) allowed me to finally get three working 32-bit displacement maps exported (16-bit TIF's too). It freezes up 3D Coat, but the maps are usable. Strangely if I uncheck create padding, the maps exported are blank (and 3DC still freezes). This is all using BETA 11 in demo mode because I don't own the pro version.

So many different paths one can take from the retopo room and very few of them work. Thankfully I found a second method that also works which doesn't freeze up 3DC (merge to pp with displacement in the retopo room, then export using the textures menu in the paint room). It's a shame the texture baking tool isn't compatible with a retopo mesh that has more than one UV set. Would have had this project done weeks ago if it was lol.

• 1 month later...