3DCoat Forums

Robert's Sketchbook

alvordr

• Advanced Member

Hello, all. I figured I may as well start a sketchbook, also. This is a piece I'm working on to replace an asset I already had in a scene. I still have work to do to it, but it's coming along.

Low Light Setup:

House_LowLight.png

Medium Light Setup:

House_MediumLight.png

Wireframe (Under 2k polys):

House_MediumLight_Wire.png

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

I'm thinking about redoing all the texture work. I want to push everything into one UV map and I know how to do it, but it will mean losing the texture work. The practice will be a good thing, anyway.

I'll also be adding a door and windows and possibly furniture, but I'm not as concerned about the inside for my current project.

• Reputable Contributor

I'm thinking about redoing all the texture work. I want to push everything into one UV map and I know how to do it, but it will mean losing the texture work. The practice will be a good thing, anyway.

I'll also be adding a door and windows and possibly furniture, but I'm not as concerned about the inside for my current project.

As long as the geometry is the same you can just redo your UV's and 3D Coat will relocate the pixels accordingly. I don't know how Andrew managed to pull that off, but it's pretty amazing. Be careful with the normal maps though. I recently tried this on a model and it seemed as if 3D Coat flipped the normal direction. To remedy that, I had to change the depth value into the negative. Have to report that when I find time to do so.

• Advanced Member

I just did the redo of the UVs some days ago, and yes, the normal map was messed up (strongly visible seams). My solution was to afterwards export all layers with depth, spec and so on (lowest item in Textures - Export). Then I deleted all the paint object and layers and did a new bake to get clean AO and normals. These where then exported separately (File - Export Model was the fastest way when you turn off all but the normal layer and AO layer). Then I imported all the layers with color, spec and so on (lowest item in Textures - Import). Sadly this overwrites everything in paint room. But that was why I exported the AO and the normal map. These two layers where then re-imported.

Yes, this is a bit tedious but a possible way. If the import function for all layers would have a checkbox to not overwrite everything it would be easier.

• Advanced Member

Still working the house. However, I also felt like deviating and letting myself go on ZBrush a bit. I'll be taking it into 3D Coat eventually, but here's my WIP for a mouse / insect / bat (I'm thinking of adding bat wings for the arms). This is VERY early stage work, so I know the abdomen and feed need work...the chest area I may take a bit further and I'm not worried about the clavicle not being entirely correct here. For now, I'm keeping the legs separate, but may merge them later on.

Creature2_Stage1.png

• Reputable Contributor

I'm not actually all that concerned about having to redo the texturing. It was a quick experiment and I wanted to see how it all baked.

AbnRanger,

Which setting did you put into the negative?...the inner cage?

You can go to TEXTURES > ADJUST > INVERT COLORS or in the top of layer panel, you can set the depth value in the negative. It's been reported to Andrew, so hopefully that gets fixed soon

• Advanced Member

My creature at the next stage:

Creature2_Stage3.png

I added arms, as suggested, gave it a loose helm and tweaked most of the body and wings a bit. It still needs lots of work, but I'm getting more of an idea of how to go about this Rat / Bat / Insect thing. The wings make it more dragon-like, but I'm not hating them, yet.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

It's an architectural detail, I guess. I did for a game level. The rope actually wasn't hard, but time consuming. I did an autoretopo on the rope, but I could do it manually, if I had the patience. If I did, the poly count would go way down, as most of the polys are in the ropes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I did the axe last night, as I don't feel like I have enough weapons in my slew of junk I've done. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while. It's not perfect, in my opinion, but still a decent start for something better.

Axe1Comp.jpg

• Like 1