3DCoat Forums

ok, it seems beta update postponed again... Too much changes and too raw still. The upcoming list of changes:

1) selecting packs of faces/verts/edges and operating them

2) subdividing individual faces, incremental subdivision (if you have subdivided some face and want to subdivide neighbour face later, it will be subdivided like they was subdivided at once)

3) splitting any configuration of edges, nor only edge rings

4) merging vertices together

5) making retopo mesh from current low-poly mesh

6) import retopo mesh

7) interface adjusting

8) cursor flicking fixed

9) GMA945 issue fixed (i hope)

10) importing mesh with 3 types of uv-smoothing (smooth but keep edges, smooth all, smooth but keep corners)

11) baking tool improvement (speed, bugfixes and possibility to work with input meshes with many uv-sets)

12) maybe something forgotten....

If I have forgotten something, please remind.

• Advanced Member
10) importing mesh with 3 types of uv-smoothing (smooth but keep edges, smooth all, smooth but keep corners)

Do you mean that I can smooth UV as Modo does ?

Andrew... I love you !

Anyway, when you will implement the import of huge meshes to store vertex position in a texture as you said in another thread, 3d-coat will be the perfect tool to export displacement to everywhere!

Andrew,The most important thing I want to remind you is that several users have said they NEVER successfully run GL version!

This is true, I have never been able to use the GL version. It didn't really bother me since the DX version worked fine, but it would be best to have them both working.

Edit so I don't double post:

I noticed that when editing in external editor it does not open Photoshop. Even if Photoshop is already open, the image doesn't send to it. I don't know if this is a bug or just not yet implemented in 2.10. I also noticed that in the latest official release it doesn't send it to PS at the correct resolution. If I have 3DC set to 2046, then send it to PS, the PS resolution is 1024. I assume this is not normal behavior.

Hello Andrew, thanks for your work and making those fantastic updates. I like to let you know that in this version the Mark Edge Loops tool from UV Map, do not works and also the Camera Views (left, front, etc) from right upper corner. At least I try the betas on my 2 pcs and same problem. Thanks! for your hard work but I believe you should know.

Hello Andrew, thanks for your work and making those fantastic updates. I like to let you know that in this version the Mark Edge Loops tool from UV Map, do not works and also the Camera Views (left, front, etc) from right upper corner. At least I try the betas on my 2 pcs and same problem. Thanks! for your hard work but I believe you should know.

Thanks, I will fix it today. I have almost uploaded update yesterday but I have noticed some bugs in last minute, so I have postponed it again to give clean and well workable version (I hope today).

Thanks, I will fix it today. I have almost uploaded update yesterday but I have noticed some bugs in last minute, so I have postponed it again to give clean and well workable version (I hope today).

Hey Andrew ! I'm looking forward to test your program ! It really looks great!

i saw a cool retopo vid about 2.10 this morning and it was actually exciting. :)

couple requests for it if isn't possible yet

1) add a split polygon tool, like in maya (edge slice in Modo), with possibility to cut inside of polygons, and snap to vertices if u need.

this can be very handy if user deleted some edges and have to reconstruct polygons.

2) spin edges , something liek spin quads in Lw, but working with tris too - very useful

3) merge vertex - i saw u planned for it yet i'd make it valid for edges too.

4) from discussion i read i don't remember if you planned to add this so i add it however:

something similar to LW extender plus. select bunch of edges and extend em

hope these can help you and make your app even better!

p.s. sorry for the quote i meant to add a reply only

Welcome!

1) add a split polygon tool, like in maya (edge slice in Modo), with possibility to cut inside of polygons, and snap to vertices if u need.

this can be very handy if user deleted some edges and have to reconstruct polygons.

You can split polygones in add poly mode (first) - there is snapping and all what required

2) spin edges , something liek spin quads in Lw, but working with tris too - very useful

What is spin edges? rotate edges?

3) merge vertex - i saw u planned for it yet i'd make it valid for edges too.

Do you mean sliding edges until they will be merged?

4) from discussion i read i don't remember if you planned to add this so i add it however:

something similar to LW extender plus. select bunch of edges and extend em

Please show some example/screenshot

Using LightWave here are examples

(in order)

1. Extender: Extrude multiple polygons from edges. I requested this too.

2. Spin Edges: In LW select an edge and hit Spin Edges to rotate that edge clockwise.

3. Merge Points. In LW this is called Weld or Weld Average (LWs Merge Points does something kinda different)

post-466-1215162135_thumb.jpg

post-466-1215162216_thumb.jpg

post-466-1215162234_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
3) splitting any configuration of edges, nor only edge rings

Is it linked to this request:

-ToolAddPolygon allow you to cut edges, but you should be able to cut through several edges without having to clic on each edge. If you want to cut 4 edges at once you should have to clic on the first and the last and it should cut all the edges.

For the moment if you do that it doesn't work. ?

I don't know if you plan to add these feature:

The smooth Lines is great but you should add an iteration setting, the higher it is the harder the line is smoothed.

Because right now if I want to smooth my curve to get it nearly straight I have to hit the button many times.

Spaceloop Tool:

SpaceLoop.gif

You take an edgering from which you want to arrange the spacing of the loops and you execute "SpaceLoop" than you got an even spacing of edgeloop.

I hope it's clear :lol:

It can really fasten the optimization of a mesh.

Making group:

And other thing that would be cool is the ability to create group of polygons, that is really helpfull especially when doing topology.

Be able to hide these group like the feature, hide by connected area (double clic the mesh) could be great.

I'm always going back and forth 3dsmax and my topology appz to use the space edgeloop, it's easier and much more faster than having to tweak it by hand.

Thx

Welcome!

thanx for the very quick reply!

You can split polygones in add poly mode (first) - there is snapping and all what required

very cool! didn't saw in the vid, so i assumed there wasn't . GREAT!

What is spin edges? rotate edges?

yep it is !! :)

added some LW screen shot where it works only with quads. basically, what you do in Lw is select faces and spin quad tool rotate the shared edges.

what i'think could be useful in 3d coat is being able to simply select an edge and rotate it be it with tris and quabs polys.

Do you mean sliding edges until they will be merged?

added screenshot .

lets say i have 2 meshes and want to combine them, i could do it merging vertex, but also do it faster joining edges

Please show some example/screenshot

added screenshot about extender. this will speed workflow even more as it is quite a modelling tool ! used alott or organics btw.

you can perform it also with rings

btw some of the screenshots i made in subdivision surfaces, but i ask to perform it only in polygons for retopo purposes.

post-799-1215162991_thumb.jpg

post-799-1215163014_thumb.jpg

post-799-1215163033_thumb.jpg

post-799-1215163541_thumb.jpg

no prob, those are thing I was hoping for as well.

BTW assuming you're talking about my video, I didn't go through every single thing, just the major editing tools, so there may be other things that were not in there.

hehe i was referring to this video

http://207.44.140.6/~dcoat/Tutorials/3dc_retopo.swf

is it yours?

sorry if i missed some point about current tools in the beta, but i have to download 3d coat yet and test it.

however i think that with your screenshots and mine Andrew now has enough reference for some little enhancements that will make workflow blowing fast!! :)

Yep, I did that one, it was hosted on screencast.com but too many people downloaded it and killed the bandwidth, so Andrew is hosting it.

yeah the name spin quads is misleading. sorry for that.

it comes from Lw, btw, where first you select polygons, then it spins edges. its called quads becaiuse in Lw it basically works with couples of quad polygons only, not tris.

more appropriate term is spin or rotate edge, also because being able to rotate edges rerlated to quads and tris is way better than quads only. :)

it is used alot in box modelling techniques, but it is also useful because it allows to change your polyflow with less operations. for example : delete edges + add edges into another configuration.

extender also is a misleading term. i would call it extrude edges, or something. in this case it extrudes edges, but who knows, maybe andrew can decide to let us be able to extrude even faces hehe.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone didn't know or noticed from the image I posted, LW does have Spin Edges now as well as SpinQuads. Personally I don't find use for them very often but I know a lot of people do. It's also where the website Spinquad.com got it's name.