3DCoat Forums

My first atempt with 3D Coat

lucpet

Hi, I thought I'd share my foray into using 3d Coat.

I'm still coming to terms with the best settings to use with 3d Max on exporting to obj format and I guess it also wouldn't hurt to read more of the manual re loading said mesh. I don't understand some of the settings when it come to how dense my mesh should be and the relationship between "Millions of Polygons" & "Carcass Resolution" but hey I'm having fun anyway. Only the shopping trolley was done in 3d Coat not the base which was all down to ps.

I would love to see some tutes that suggest the best settings to use, between max and 3d coat, as well as some that cover 3d coat use in general.

Anyway Cheers Andrew for this programme it's great keep up the good work.

Luke

post-472-1213844538_thumb.jpg

Congratulations with first work!

Looks good!

Your object is very unusual for 3D-Coat :) becouse it is has many stright lines. To import such objects it is better to use

carcass resolution - around 10000-60000

millons of p - 2-6 millons

texture 2-4 K (you can decrease it later in ps, it is better to use big textures during edit)

mapping - auto or your own (if you can map it well :)

smoothing - no

What settings have you used?

Congratulations with first work!

Looks good!

Your object is very unusual for 3D-Coat :) becouse it is has many stright lines. To import such objects it is better to use

carcass resolution - around 10000-60000

millons of p - 2-6 millons

texture 2-4 K (you can decrease it later in ps, it is better to use big textures during edit)

mapping - auto or your own (if you can map it well :)

smoothing - no

What settings have you used?

Unusual yes. It was originally just a modelling exercise (and to test my patience as it turned out)

I just wanted to put a lot of scratches and damage on the Trolley and thought I'd learn 3D Coat at the same time :)

(Bending the wires to add some damage would be done later with morph targets maybe)

I imported only sections of it into 3D Coat as unwrapping the main basket would have been a nightmare.

So all the wheels and their swivel brackets

The Base

The Handle

The red bumpers on the front

I tried many different setting and don't remember them individually but smoothing was off and millions of polys and carcass I just accepted the defaults, keep uvs because I'd already gone to such trouble to unwrap these bits

I also discovered some overlapping mesh which turned out to be three copies of the same Item on several occasions which was down to max. I still don't know why max did this when I converted from splines to edit poly maybe?!

I can say, I didn't duplicate them (they were on top of each other), and I only found them when I was unwrapping them.

But it explained why I had so many black triangles when I tried to import it into 3d Coat the first time without unwrapping.

I went back to read the manual a few times and I'm still struggling to understand the difference between millions of ploys and carcass resolution but a lot of this understanding has to do with my medication :) I think it tends to slow my mind more than I care too admit......but I will work it out eventually.

Once again thank you for all your hard work bringing this to great programme to the community.

Luke