3DCoat Forums

Armor detail

philnolan3d

I'm trying to recreate the shoulders in the first attached image. So I painted the negative pattern on with the freeze brush and did a reasonably good job I think. Then I used a hard brush to fill in the color/bump/spec. It looks OK from straight on, but when you look at it from any angles it's all distorted and chunky. Is this something I did wrong? It looks like it's trying to deform a very low poly model, but it's almost 8 million polys for the 4 shoulder pieces. The texture res is 2048.

post-466-1213910748_thumb.jpg

post-466-1213911332_thumb.jpg

post-466-1213911342_thumb.jpg

post-466-1213911358_thumb.jpg

post-466-1213911369_thumb.jpg

so assuming there's no way to raise the carcass res, is it possible to export all of the maps, then reload the model with higher carcass res, then re apply all of the maps, so that its basically the same as it was before, just with a smoother carcass?

Thanks I was just now trying it with a test object and forgot to save the displacement so I was about to start all over until I got your response. Now I don't have to. Question though: Do I have to export then imoport the no9rmal map AND the displacement map, or just the displacement?

Thanks I was just now trying it with a test object and forgot to save the displacement so I was about to start all over until I got your response. Now I don't have to. Question though: Do I have to export then imoport the no9rmal map AND the displacement map, or just the displacement?

Only displacement

Uh.. Hmm... Just out of curiosity I tried loading the model with the carcass setting as high as it would go, 301,120, and it still looks the same. Smooth from the front, all jaggy from other angles. The only difference is that my desktop gets really bogged down until I start hiding stuff.

post-466-1214635070_thumb.jpg

I would assume that's what the carcass resolution is supposed to do. But, for example, if I load the man head that comes with 3DC I'm given 5 choices for carcass resolution. All of them have the same effect as I was mentioning above. I discovered that the smoothing tool will clean up the jaggies, but then I don't have the nice clean edge as before, now I have a soft edge. I don't know ZBrush very well but I managed to get pretty much what I'm looking for, see attachment.

post-466-1214673583_thumb.jpg

Zbrush displays actual polygones, so the picture there looks better. The actual polygones you can see if you will edit projection in PS. In general, if you want to make thick high details, you can use retopo tool to create configuration of poluygones that corresponds to details. Also, what is the meaning of thick layers on teh armor? Painting? If painting, it could not be so thick.

Also, if you want to render it in future you will need very high subdiv level in renderer to show thick details correctly. So using retopo to make geometry to thick details could be the best way.

I understand. I actually have been redoing the details so they aren't raised as much, but the effect is still the same. As long as the texture outputs correctly that's all I really care about.

Also, "Render" feature could be really useful in that case to estimate how all this looks... I was asked for this feature already. I plan to do it but not sure how quickly...

btw, big thanks for text correcting!

There is an open source renderer called Aqsis, I'm not sure how good it is or anything about the license, but it's used in Make Human.

http://www.aqsis.org/xoops/modules/news/

No prob about the text, I'm not done yet. Currently in the 1500's not sure how far it goes.