3DCoat Forums

Moi went Multitouch.. what about 3dCoat

Routb3d

• Advanced Member

The only time I find the pen useful is for sculpting, but multi-touch seems very pushed onto consumers, as if we need it...just like 3D movies. I'm not a fan, but I hope it helps someone.

I Think its going to help me.. I have a lot of work to do and Very little time. I would normally do my work in Maya but this time I'm going to struggle to move to MOI. Its a real sweetheart of an interface with so much potential for me to innovate new processes to pump out 3D NURBS sculpture. Ill be documenting my findings..IC

• Contributor

I Think its going to help me.. I have a lot of work to do and Very little time. I would normally do my work in Maya but this time I'm going to struggle to move to MOI. Its a real sweetheart of an interface with so much potential for me to innovate new processes to pump out 3D NURBS sculpture. Ill be documenting my findings..IC

Sorry but with that in mind I don't understand the reason to use a "tablet" for that kind of work, no keyboard for quick interaction, a low tech hardware (compared to a medium desktop station)...

It's like you want to start building a house from the ground up and start with screwdriver...

It's fine for some people I guess, it's just I fail to see the logic to ask for that in 3dcoat which is known to have quite an appetite for hardware resources.

• Advanced Member

He may be mobile quite a bit. It makes sense, as people are more likely to purchase something small, cheap and easy to take around. It all depends on your work. I'm more of the desktop/laptop type, myself, but I do have a couple of 3D mobile apps for iPad and iPod. I just don't find them all that useful, at the moment.

• Advanced Member

I take a lot of risks in the name of finding better processes. It only makes sense that an entire new generation of hardware, software and operating systems may have benefits over my old ways of doing things.. The new tech may be a little immature but I like to think I'm a part of that development. Sometimes I land on my nose with these things but I see the potential and it looks well worth the try. Wish me luck! I have to create another carving x2 the size as the one pictured above.. The one pictured was done in Maya..

• Advanced Member

for years I´ve been saying that multi touch can be a great gain for design software. Last year I had the chance to test it on the mutli touch device from wacom. Also mudbox is multi touch capable.

As for the discussion on the use on a low power tablet, also they will be getting more powerful very soon and I would love to do some sculpting during traveling. We now have quite cool software for tablets already. Sadly they are not for androids.

• Advanced Member

Sorry but with that in mind I don't understand the reason to use a "tablet" for that kind of work, no keyboard for quick interaction, a low tech hardware (compared to a medium desktop station)...

It's like you want to start building a house from the ground up and start with screwdriver...

It's fine for some people I guess, it's just I fail to see the logic to ask for that in 3dcoat which is known to have quite an appetite for hardware resources.

The 700T runs 1920x1080 with a Core i5 processor, 128 gig SSD, a microSD slot (I have a 64 gig card in mine) and 4 gigs of ram. It's hardly "low tech".

I really wish 3DC had better support for this type of machine. It's not as though manufacturers are going to come out with slower, less powerful machines in the future.

Arguing against this tech reminds me of people arguing against developing websites for anything higher resolution than 800x600.

-PG

• Advanced Member

The 700T runs 1920x1080 with a Core i5 processor, 128 gig SSD, a microSD slot (I have a 64 gig card in mine) and 4 gigs of ram. It's hardly "low tech".

I really wish 3DC had better support for this type of machine. It's not as though manufacturers are going to come out with slower, less powerful machines in the future.

Arguing against this tech reminds me of people arguing against developing websites for anything higher resolution than 800x600.

-PG

Ahh ! Another early adopter I see.. I gave up trying to explain. Seems your an early adopter or not. We get to be the pioneers that carve out the way for people that are less daring + we get to suffer the consequences of that. Thanks for chiming in here! Ill be showing some pretty mind blowing multitouch interaction as I put together my modeling procedures. Its time to see the promised land.. LOL.. IC

• Contributor

-PG

Well, I got a tablet pc, an Ipad 2, a nexus 7 a cintiq 24hd, owned every intuos serie since 2... I test every month new hardware regarding productivity (latest test is cintiq 24hd touch) and so far my experience is:

Touch sucks.

Reason ? Because if you want to use touch sensitivity and pen pressure (content creation profile) you have touch functions which are terribly limited by software implementation or drivers. Most of the time you get two options:

1: touch too sensitive: palm resting on tablet = random actions because the tablet is understanding gesture you don't do.

2: touch not working with pen at the same time as touch functions: you have to lift your pen every time you want to make a gesture, which is both annoying and counterproductive since the idea is to keep the pace and do multitasking without the hassle of lifting your hands from the tablet (otherwise get a keyboard !)...

I understand the concept of touch functionality, I would love to be able to orbit/zoom/pan around my models in 3d apps, but if I do that I lose the pressure sensitivity of pen in the process... at this point touch is a gadget.

Btw this is even more an old tech since hover surface tablets are comming and are solving thoses issues much more effectively (hanvon prototypes I tried are really promising)

• Advanced Member

Well, I got a tablet pc, an Ipad 2, a nexus 7 a cintiq 24hd, owned every intuos serie since 2... I test every month new hardware regarding productivity (latest test is cintiq 24hd touch) and so far my experience is:

Touch sucks.

Reason ? Because if you want to use touch sensitivity and pen pressure (content creation profile) you have touch functions which are terribly limited by software implementation or drivers. Most of the time you get two options:

1: touch too sensitive: palm resting on tablet = random actions because the tablet is understanding gesture you don't do.

2: touch not working with pen at the same time as touch functions: you have to lift your pen every time you want to make a gesture, which is both annoying and counterproductive since the idea is to keep the pace and do multitasking without the hassle of lifting your hands from the tablet (otherwise get a keyboard !)...

I understand the concept of touch functionality, I would love to be able to orbit/zoom/pan around my models in 3d apps, but if I do that I lose the pressure sensitivity of pen in the process... at this point touch is a gadget.

Btw this is even more an old tech since hover surface tablets are comming and are solving thoses issues much more effectively (hanvon prototypes I tried are really promising)

Dude! Go make another thread and call it touch sucks.. I'm really not interested in why you think touch sucks... Looks like your trying to flood my thread with some foolish argument.. this is about exploration and progress not bull headed know it allness.. Leave it alone..

Thanks,

IC

• Advanced Member

That is how I feel as well, based on my own usage. Have nothing against it; I actually love the concept. I just feel it needs to mature a little bit more. Once it works how I envision it should and expect it to (e.g. able to compete with a 3dConnexion device), I'll be all for it. Hopefully all my favorite apps will support it by then, including 3D Coat.

• Advanced Member

In general I find the 3DC forums these days seem to have a few very vocal folks who want to shut down any discussion that doesn't fit their own view of what's "right". I rarely read anything here anymore for that reason.

As far as Windows 8 Pro tablets with Wacom screens. There's an app called TGuard that lets you switch multi-touch off and on so you don't have problems with your hand causing random touches. There's also a free app called "AutoHotKey" that lets you build your own tools (docks) that can imitate hotkeys & people have developed tools for Photoshop, Painter, ArtRage, ZBrush, Maya, and more. It lets you use those apps with a stylus, multi-touch, and imitate the most used hotkey commands.

What would be nice is for 3DC to somehow natively support these functions - or at the very least to have someone build a dock that supports 3DC based on something like ArtDock:

http://konartist3d.d...tDock-283342420

post-532-0-97277700-1362231903_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Sorry to disagree. Also you made my point: you need workaround software to bypass limitation dues to hardware or drivers/software limitation. (believe it or not I tried to go with ahk to bypass some of those myself, only to discover that this brings a lot of other issues because it's not a clean solution and that the hardware/drivers are fighting back).

Technology is not mature and probably will not live long enough to be the one adopted by everyone. But it's ok, if you find that good enough go ahead, contrary to what you believe I'm not against anyone who disagree, it's just that I feel the need to express my disagreement for a feature request which sounds too early to add.

• Advanced Member

In general I find the 3DC forums these days seem to have a few very vocal folks who want to shut down any discussion that doesn't fit their own view of what's "right". I rarely read anything here anymore for that reason.

As far as Windows 8 Pro tablets with Wacom screens. There's an app called TGuard that lets you switch multi-touch off and on so you don't have problems with your hand causing random touches. There's also a free app called "AutoHotKey" that lets you build your own tools (docks) that can imitate hotkeys & people have developed tools for Photoshop, Painter, ArtRage, ZBrush, Maya, and more. It lets you use those apps with a stylus, multi-touch, and imitate the most used hotkey commands.

What would be nice is for 3DC to somehow natively support these functions - or at the very least to have someone build a dock that supports 3DC based on something like ArtDock:

http://konartist3d.d...tDock-283342420

Thanks for the tips! I'm using mostly Art Rage and Moi on the Ativ700t and I'm not finding a need for keyboard at all. As more apps become more touch friendly I'll be happy to add them to my mobile workflow. I keep a pretty powerful Laptop in the wings that helps with the more intense projects.. I did put 3D coat on the tablet and it works great! Would love to see at least multitouch navigation for Win 8. I bet Andrew could plug that in to 3D coat in a few hours.. Multitouch support is a news worthy feature to add these days and would probably result in some sales.

IC

• Advanced Member

Nobody is arguing against it. Everyone in this thread seems to be all for it in fact, with a few whom would like to see it mature more first. That's not shutting down the discussion; that's trying to add constructive criticism to the discussion. Please learn the difference.

• Advanced Member

Nobody is arguing against it. Everyone in this thread seems to be all for it in fact, with a few whom would like to see it mature more first. That's not shutting down the discussion; that's trying to add constructive criticism to the discussion. Please learn the difference.

Noted.. This thread will not turn into a dog fight. Just for future reference, I'm hiding the argumentative demons that haunt these forums. I have a lot of work to do and There is no time for the negativity. I really just want to share without being schooled by people who think they know better. I'm here to share and not here to defend my methods or the tech I use. There is no sense in that for me. Thanks for the reply. IC

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hopefully I didn't come across too harshly. The wife is out of town for a funeral and the cat isn't letting me have any sleep lol. :)

I completely agree with everything you just said, Routb3d. Discussing the pros inevitably means discussing the cons as well and this is a good thing IMHO. Complaining that someone doesn't agree with you cannot possibly add anything constructive to the discussion; rather it detracts from it, quite possibly leading to a fight which we really don't need in here. I just wanted to shut that down right off the bat by pointing out once again nobody is against this tech at all.

The thing is Andrew has a ton of more pressing matters which need his attention right now and it's not really worth implementing a change like this unless the hardware works correctly (and well) across all devices that can do it first. We're close, but not quite there yet unfortunately. The biggest problems for me are the same ones BeatKitano described. I agree it is going to be an inevitable tech most likely though, provided the bugs can be worked out (or something better doesn't come along first). ;)

• Contributor

The biggest problems for me are the same ones BeatKitano described. I agree it is going to be an inevitable tech most likely though, provided the bugs can be worked out (or something better doesn't come along first). ;)

And that's why I disagree with adding that functionality right now, because something much better is coming, and adding the tech right now means a certain amount of work which will need to be completely redone once hover tech is here.

Since Andrew is mostly alone coding 3dc, asking him to add that function now with the knowledge the functionality is gonna change relatively soon (hover tech contains infos on depth, not only in 2d space) and will need recoding is not wise.

Again, I'm not against touch in 3dc (I would really love to be able to let go a bit of the keyboard on my cintiq) but for now the time that needs to be invested in it is too precious.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Came across these three links on DPR recently which made me think of this thread. Sharing them for anyone whom may be interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKh4JGHwASc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOQ_gk3QtgA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghlvpc3oz7I

(Sorry for putting them up that way, forum won't let me post them otherwise.)