3DCoat Forums

3dcoat Latest beta live test

BeatKitano

• Contributor

I'll be doing a live sculpt of a xenomorph with the new 3dcoat beta tonight (12b), mainly for testing and showcasing Artman's presets (which are pretty cool).
If you wanna tag along: http://fr.twitch.tv/beatkitano

all4s.jpg

I'll announce the time on my twitter: https://twitter.com/BeatKitano
This is not self promotion (nothing to sell), just trying to chat with some users and hopefully not witness any showstopper bug like it happened before ;)

xdog01.jpg

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I'll be doing a live sculpt of a xenomorph with the new 3dcoat beta tonight (12b), mainly for testing and showcasing Artman's presets (which are pretty cool).

If you wanna tag along: http://fr.twitch.tv/beatkitano

I'll announce the time on my twitter: https://twitter.com/BeatKitano

This is not self promotion (nothing to sell), just trying to chat with somes users and hopefully not witness any showstopper bug like it happened before ;)

Any way to record it?

• Contributor

My conclusion with that particular sculpt (not a complex one, 2 objects total):

Hide but current bug is still there

The app still crashes, but during the test it wasn't that bad, but file corruption on failure is not ok (even if it tells you to save on another file, in this case holes appeared, and I could tell right away because the cursor felt sluggish over the surface) imo.

I still struggle with overlaping strokes (the xeno lips show at the begining, I can't get a smooth curved surface easily), stroke quality really needs an improvement in that area.

The performance got a really huge boost, curiously though I get a delay when switching between tools, I don't know if it's the capture software interfering, I'll have to test offline to confirm as I'll continue this sculpt tomorrow.

That was a nice experience, but again the model is simple and I didn't use resym.

• Contributor

Thanx!! It was cool!

I noticed one the crash happened right after you minimized,changed a song and then restored...maybe it is related.

It is worth investigating this as I didn't get any crashes so far.

also when you tweak the shoulder with large move brush

(for which RemoveStretching was completely useless (my fault,since its embeded in prestes)

I noticed base of jaw was affected too and at that moment I think Removestreching+Symmetry is what caused the holes at the center of the inner mouth,I know for a fact Removestreching+Symmetry when using move brush some weid angle or cross trough geometry can create unhealthy assymetries.

I'll change it so user have 2 presets Move and MoveClay.

Hi BeatKitano, I've just watched your xeno sculpt on twitchtv. Pretty cool stuff.!!! I am fairly new and also very excited with 3dcoat capabilities and i did manage to find artman's presets somewhere in the forum but in your video I can see you have many more presets loaded. Can you include a zip with these presets so i can get them and experement with them too? Thanks in advance. :)

P.s : Sorry for the bad grammar, english is not my native language.

• Contributor

You'll have to wait a bit to get them as Artman will probably release them himself (he made a few changes this very day). Ask him maybe he'll give them to you (I won't give them because it's his baby, I hope you understand ^^)

BTW they're MUCH better than what you see in the video since those shown were altered prior to beta 12b, for various reason, as I forgot to reset them for the stream.

• Reputable Contributor

I noticed that 3DCoat crashes sometimes when you use screen sharing as it happens when I'm using Skype screen sharing as well. Others users that share their screen with me have the same problem. It seldom happens but it could be the screen sharing because I am working a method at the time of the crash that normally I never have a problem with.

Just a heads up on a possible other reason for 3DCoat crashing when you were screen sharing yesterday...

• Contributor

I got a crash the day before this stream, offline. While this could be a reason for this time this is not the cause of all the crashes unfortunately (cause that would be simple to solve then ;) )

I think Artman's is onto something with removestretching+ move in large radius. As far as I recall I often (always ?) had crashes soon after using the move tool.

I still expect crashes anyway since this afternoon after using clay I got explosion on mesh, which I noticed right away and then closed the file immediately (undoing is not safe either).

I would gladly install a monitoring process for Andrew regarding those issues, because while the experience is still a bit rough around the edges in some areas, overall it feels pretty solid.

Unfortunately he already told me it wasn't possible (too much operations going all the time to find what's ticking).

• Reputable Contributor

Oh yeah, it is for sure not the cause of all crashes. The loading of LWO files causes the Linux version of 3DC to crash at least on my computer. I do agreed that as Andrew keeps plugging away that version 4 is getting more stable. B)

I was watchng the stream off and on, can back and oops you were gone...

• Contributor

I'll finish the sculpt if that's what you mean. I enjoy sculpting, using the sculpt for something else is work and I've enough of that already :)

But since I'll not do anything with it, if my bandwith allow, I'll post the scene file here when it's done, in case anyone wants to do something with it.