3DCoat Forums

SurfaceMode sculpting presets v4.##

artman

• Contributor

Great update, Artman! :)

I have several questions about it:

1. I see that you have dropped the Rapid2-based Clay preset. What might be the reason behind it?

2. I also have noticed that amClayBuild utilizes GeneralClay. Is the brush safe to use now in 4.5.16?

3. Finally, what is the purpose of amFix and amFixArea brushes? When do you use them?

• Contributor

Great update, Artman! :)

I have several questions about it:

1. I see that you have dropped the Rapid2-based Clay preset. What might be the reason behind it?

2. I also have noticed that amClayBuild utilizes GeneralClay. Is the brush safe to use now in 4.5.16?

3. Finally, what is the purpose of amFix and amFixArea brushes? When do you use them?

1.I dont use it anymore as Im always starting from 200k-300k lumps of clay and RemoveStrteching does not generate enough resolution to produce nice clean clay strokes.

JoseConseco asked me to make a livecaly based Clay brush (amClayBuild) 

and after making it I really started loving it a lot :)...you see,I really need those strokes to be nice as I use the natural folds and creases it creates when crossing strokes to base most of my organic wrinkles from.

Also when using it for hardsurface I also enjoy more resolution in the strokes

But feel free to keep using the old Rapid2 one ,anyway it was pretty close to default rapid2 anyway...but I might have fiddled with the flatten curve a bit.

2.For this particular brush I dont encounter any issues on a daily basis, but I dont indulge in the build up aspect of this brush...

somebody might use it to too much extremes and get unhealthy self-intersections, Its true of any brushes with "build up" anyway.

3, AmFix purpose it to remove any sorts of bumps in hardsurfaces that are already flats, I use it in both add and ctrl mode to be sure erything is super crisp. amFixArea is basically the same brush but using curve (the way to define area is to set different radius to the curve points to cover surface as much as its possible .Then by using Apply in both add and Ctrl mode multiple times(a hotkey works best for this) I get very sharp,clean surfaces.)

The purpose of both those brushes is to remove the "sculpted" look out of hardsurface sculpted parts so they can look similar to what you get when creating hardsurface using subd modeling 3D packages.I dont think poeple are gonna use them a lot,but personally I really needed those,they really were a missing piece for me.....you see ,I dont want to do any retopology for the sole purpose of sharpening  hardsurface shapes,its already a big enough chore to make the lopoly retopo for bakingI,m not gonna make an intermediary midres retopology on top of this ,that takes all the fun of sculpting it in the first place imo...

The strong points of this update imo is really the polish and Trim brushes which are less harsh then the ones bundled in 3DC and are really complementary to both make sharp bevelling with Trim or really intricate hardsurface shapes with Polish.

and the Sharp brush which imho is superior to DamStandard brush (mostly due to adaptive tessellation) I had to balance it a little bit when Andrew changed the relation between depth and radius.

• Like 3

• Contributor

Thanks for a detailed explanation. :)

1.I dont use it anymore as Im always starting from 200k-300k lumps of clay and RemoveStrteching does not generate enough resolution to produce nice clean clay strokes.
JoseConseco asked me to make a livecaly based Clay brush (amClayBuild) 
and after making it I really started loving it a lot :)...you see,I really need those strokes to be nice as I use the natural folds and creases it creates when crossing strokes to base most of my organic wrinkles from.
Also when using it for hardsurface I also enjoy more resolution in the strokes
But feel free to keep using the old Rapid2 one ,anyway it was pretty close to default rapid2 anyway...but I might have fiddled with the flatten curve a bit.

I don't miss the Clay preset either. I start from very low poly clay lumps too so I had the same problem with Remove Stretching as you did. Actually at one point I switched to a clay preset based-off GeneralClay, but if you remember I had some problems with artifacts appearing on the surface. But it probably was the Noise tool. I'm currently using amClayBuild a lot - love it.

2.For this particular brush I dont encounter any issues on a daily basis, but I dont indulge in the build up aspect of this brush...
somebody might use it to too much extremes and get unhealthy self-intersections, Its true of any brushes with "build up" anyway.

I hope that eventually Andrew will improve the two existing collision detection algorithms, or alter this tool (and build up mode in general) so it doesn't cause intersections in the first place.

3. AmFix purpose it to remove any sorts of bumps in hardsurfaces that are already flats, I use it in both add and ctrl mode to be sure erything is super crisp. amFixArea is basically the same brush but using curve (the way to define area is to set different radius to the curve points to cover surface as much as its possible .Then by using Apply in both add and Ctrl mode multiple times(a hotkey works best for this) I get very sharp,clean surfaces.)

The purpose of both those brushes is to remove the "sculpted" look out of hardsurface sculpted parts so they can look similar to what you get when creating hardsurface using subd modeling 3D packages.I dont think poeple are gonna use them a lot,but personally I really needed those,they really were a missing piece for me.....you see ,I dont want to do any retopology for the sole purpose of sharpening  hardsurface shapes,its already a big enough chore to make the lopoly retopo for bakingI,m not gonna make an intermediary midres retopology on top of this ,that takes all the fun of sculpting it in the first place imo...

Ah I see. This can be very useful. I don't have any hard surface objects to sculpt now, but I will try it as soon as I have a chance to. :)

The strong points of this update imo is really the polish and Trim brushes which are less harsh then the ones bundled in 3DC and are really complementary to both make sharp bevelling with Trim or really intricate hardsurface shapes with Polish.
and the Sharp brush which imho is superior to DamStandard brush (mostly due to adaptive tessellation) I had to balance it a little bit when Andrew changed the relation between depth and radius.

Great additions! :)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • Contributor
On 7/16/2016 at 7:13 PM, grfxman said:

So I was wondering if these brushes are more current in the default install now. I'm asking because most of the posts seem to be from last year.

Thanks in advance . :)

actually the ones in the default install are mostly older...or seem mixed with older ones.I always remove them anyway as Im still using only the ones attached  here..

I dont really need to update them for the same reasons DamStandard brush in Zb is the same since like 5 years.... 

What I could do tough is make new ones for different purposes/effects but I do better work when not bouncing between a gazillion brushes and I dont really want to spend time making new ones as it was a pretty tedious process....what is truly missing is Fx brushes like cracks and stiches ect...and anyone can make those with a few good alphas and fiddling with spacing values...I just wanted to have good core brushes for flattening/polishing/blocking and sharpening.

• Carlosan changed the title to SurfaceMode sculpting presets v4.##
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic