3D Coat Forums

I tried to make a dragon, close to the Skyrim one. But in the end, it's quiet different.

Skinning was a pain. Especially the very thin wings.

Hope you like it!

Sculpt and retopo in 3dCoat

painting in Photoshop testing dDo

skinning and posing in Maya

rendered in Marmoset Toolbag

dragon_sculpt.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for the kind comment.

It is perfectible though. The wing shape, the presentation.

I will probably try to make a scenery for this dragon

and use camera to show a little more the dragon's scale.

For the moment it looks a bit like a toy in a magazine.

I like the huge amount of details you have pumped into your textures. They look very convincing. Also, the expressive and dynamic poses are great. Bah, what am I saying - every single thing about this dragon is perfect!

For the moment it looks a bit like a toy in a magazine.

If you scrub the first turntable to about 14%, there's this particular frame in which the dragon looks straight at the camera with his head banked slightly to the left and an irritated look on his face. His mouth opened like he was in the middle of saying (just imagine a comic book styled speech bubble):

"Now you listen to me, mister. I am most definitely NOT looking like a toy in a magazine".

And I agree with him. :)

Bravo! A two minute animation should fetch at least the $.99 paid for a song (I would cheerfully pay $.99 to see that crittur put through it's paces).

Totally fantastic work!! does not look toy magazine to me...more AAA fantasy game model :)

I dont have much crits unfortunately

maybe i think you should experiment with a more twirly,rolling-barrel ,asymmetric pose...

that would give him great presence and dynamism I think...as you went trough the pain of rigging/skinning him anyway.

Thanks Artman! Yep. To tell the truth, I did this model in order to learn more about rigging.

I needed to make something good to keep motivation even when it comes to rigging phase (I often give up there...).

A nice animation, and this model in a good scenery are the next steps. Don't know when, but I'll try to do it.

Miss your doodles. Hope you'll post new one soon :)

Arround 30000 polys, wich is probably too much.

I noticed it when I started the weight work. It was hell, especially for the wings

both sides interpenatrating themselves. I cried, trust me.

But it's mostly because I have an allergy with pollen in the air let's say. :)

Oh Digman, You make me thirsty with your smileys.

If only we could share a real beer together (I'm probably the smiley with no hair).

Really nice work, I get the whole "toy" vibe that you mentioned though, you said it started off as more Skyrim inspired right? It seems at the moment he (she?!) feels a bit lost in terms of scale. It seems like a mixture of both really big, and really small. Technically lovely though.

I took time to fix the toy like feel.

It is a little better with a scenery.

Still the pose could have been better.

Next time may be, there's so many dragons to sculpt.

dragon_treasure.jpg

• Like 2

Ah, a project done... Thanks for sharing your progress as you worked on this dragon and scene... Good work!

Thanks Digman!

I made an effort to tweak the neck curve and add few details.

Now it is done (Work in progress and Finished work gallery pic updated).