3DCoat Forums

New install of 3d Coat - Open GL problems

Mix Mash

Hi,

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong thread but I checked and couldn't find a "Troubleshooting" or "questions" thread.

OK, the problem is that I got a new powerful laptop with a Geforce GT620m graphics card and my new installation of 3d Coat (GL version) onto the machine gives me a blank screen (see attachment). When I first installed the program (it was one of my first programs installed) it worked fine and I could see everything, do everything normally. But after installing other programs, including older programs which I still use, I keep getting this blank screen (I have set my desktop theme to a high contrast one in Win 8 so that's why the screen is white in the screenshot). I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers for my specific machine and there was no change (but it did fix another graphic problem I had).

I cannot disable my integrated graphics card as it controls my screen brightness. Plus, I think windows 8 works with a swapping card system which allows for more efficient use so I don't want to disable it.

Anyway, I think it is an Open GL problem. I have NO idea where to start but if anyone knows what I have to change or update to fix the issue, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Paul

(Mix Mash)

post-2059-0-32231400-1363139920_thumb.jp

• Contributor

Well since you didn't deactivate your integrated chips, which is most likely an intel one, you have an amputated opengl support thus you can't use gl version.

So:

1) Download the latest version of 3dcoat (Andrew really needs to put down, or at the very least makes the latest 3x cycle version the top one in downloads) here for 3.x or better here for 4.x (still in beta but probably the better choice)

2) Run the DirectX version (hoping that your nvidia card takes priority which is not guaranteed judging by your problem with gl version). Open Gl is definitely the most buggy version and the slowest and should be avoided if you're running windows (and you're stuck with it on other systems)

If it still doesn't work, you probably need to change the priority of your card, don't ask me how since I never had the issue, most often the solution I saw on the net was to deactivate the integrated chip entirely (and I highly doubt your screen brightness can't be controlled by your nvidia card).

It could also be a corruption of xml files, but someone will need to step up with the correct paths/names because I don't remember which one need to be deleted, but still the two points above are completely valid.

Thanks, I'll try the latest 64bit version because I only have the 32 bit version installed now. It's definitely a driver/adapter thing because if I disable my integrated board, I can see the screens for Lightwave but I get an error message regarding Open GL for Element3d, 3d Coat and Sculptris. If it is re-activated then I get Open GL to work for Element3D but I get a blank screen for Lightwave, Sculptris and 3d Coat. It's just such a graphic mess and it sucks.

I'll see if the new version works better.

Cheers,

Paul

OK, I did an experiment and found out that Windows 8 is a culprit. The 'blank' screen I kept getting was due to the desktop theme. I was using a 'high contrast' theme but ONLY because the regular themes are barely customisable (this is a major kick in the teeth!) and even then the 'high contrast' themes can be a problem. I switched to a regular theme and everything works fine. Unfortunately, I can't stand the regular themes and I can't change what I want.

So, technically my problem is solved but at the same time other problems exist (although as a matter of preferences).

Paul