3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Add an option in preferences to select which path is wanted for...

Carlosan

mantis request open:

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1045

any +1 is welcome. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add an option in preferences to select which path is wanted for:

- 3DC cache files, or temp folder*.

- Texture paths

- Another folders that can have another path than 3DC default (like the folders inside /user/documents)

*Cache/temp is a directory that 3DC uses to store temp project data files (like undo)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most users work with some partitions or HDisks, one for software and a bigger one for projects.

This option is useful to redirect software paths and control disk usage.

ty

• Contributor

Good idea. Right now I think 3D Coat stores cache and temporary files in the Users\UserName\My Documents\3D-CoatV4\cache and \Temp directories, so if you have an system SSD and forgot to edit the registry in order to move Users folder to a mechanical disk - this might be a potential problem.

• 4 months later...
  • Contributor

I STRONGLY agree about the temp path, even zbrush allow it  now(and their cache system is one of the most secret thing at pixologic ^^). With ssd use and massive storage it's a shame we can't put the temp files on a dedicated disk for reliability/speed purpose.

• 5 years later...
  • Advanced Member

The workaround unfortunately doesn't work due to rights restrictions I can't understand (My folders aren't inside a microsoft mysteriously protected folder but on an additional SSD and they keep staying read-only even if I allow every access and untick "read only" button...). But I guess it works with several users, thanks anyway, I'll wait for a hard coded function in an upcoming install of 3DCoat.

Thanks for your time guys !

• Advanced Member

I tried as admin aswell of course (probably the first thing I always try). When you say that it should be in "my documents" folder, did you mean that wherever I put it its folder hierarchy should remain the same from "my documents" ? Seems strange if so, as we define a clear path in the .txt file.

Again, it's on an additional SSD where one drive is not (by default it's located in the current User's folder)

The issue remain with the "auto-read-only" ticking I think. That's why I said your solution should work for others, but unfortunately not for me =/ Nothing horrible don't worry, I still got other ways to free space on my SSD, and should ultimately consider to upgrade it to a larger one (256GB is not enough ^^)

• Advanced Member

I obviously know that as I use 3DCoat for years I'm used to manipulate stuff in this folder.

I just want, as everyone here, to move this folder to another location, which is in my case my SSD, and my SSD doesn't want to apply an unticked "read-only" property on all my folders.

What I was asking is : in the "coat_data_path.txt", do I need to refer a folder (which would be in another location, not the default one as I want to retarget it to another location) that has the exact same path starting from "Documents", like this : COAT_FILES_PATH exp: "G:\Documents\3DCoatV48\" ?

• Advanced Member

And I think the issue comes from my SSD, I'll try to fix this and if I find a fix I'll post this here, thanks for your time @Carlosan =)

• Like 1

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Add an option in preferences to select which path is wanted for...