3DCoat Forums

Some newbie problems

Mormel

Hello,

I am very new with 3D Coat. I am currently trying out the trial verion, but am fairly sure to buy afterwards.

I have some experience with Blender and thought 3D Coat would be a nice addition to the overall process.

But now I stumbled as soon as I tried out the first "from scratch" tutorial video.

First of all after using the Move and Smooth tool, I noticed how my form ripped. post-30077-0-25132800-1363645555_thumb.p

This happend quite a few times, which surprised me as it obvously isn't the way it should work. After using the move tool again, it seemed

to fill in these holes, which is quite ugly. post-30077-0-02126500-1363645558_thumb.p

Is this a common problem, or does this only occur when working with small voxel resolution?

I ran into one more problem, that is producing smooth forms.

I find it very hard to do so, for example carving out the rat's mouth hole from the "from scratch" tutorial video.

All the edges are always kind of scruffy. The smooth and fill tool would always destroy the defined forms in the smoothing process.

One thing that smoothed the model overall was increasing the resolution, but when I work on the model again after increasing, the problem is the same.

post-30077-0-53218800-1363645812_thumb.p

The solution obviously can't be increasing the resolution all the time, so I wondered how should this be done?

Please help a newbie out :)

Thank you for the reply.

With a higher resolution it truly makes everything more fun and feasible.

Although in the tutorials are low resolutions expilictly used. I guess when you are more skilled you can work more efficient in lower resolutions.

The program has me now fully convinced, I really like the feel of it. Thanks again for that :)

• Contributor

It is possible to make some parts of your model high resolution and other parts low resolution.

You can do this by using the copy tool in Voxel mode, and changing the resolution of each separate copied piece.

You can also have complete control of the resolution of any part of your model by switching your model into Surface mode.

In Surface Mode you can control the resolution of all areas with the CleanClay tool as well as using various SHIFT modes (Decimate, Reduce, etc.)

You do not have to subdivide your entire model in order to get more detail. By keeping some parts low poly, you can drastically reduce the overall polycount of your model.