3DCoat Forums

Import Retopo Mesh size

popwfx

• Advanced Member

So let's say I've retopo'ed an externally made and imported hi res model and exported the retopo mesh. I have tweaked the exported retopo geometry externally in Lightwave.

Assuming I don't have the hi res model or .3B file, but want to re-import the retopo mesh into the Retopo room so that I can continue to tweak it there, how do I import it into 3DC and have it keep its size?

When I Impprt Retopo mesh it wants to merge to voxel (and there is no voxel) and then when I go into the Rertopo room to see it, it seems to have loaded this external Retopo mesh really tiny and you have to zoom so far in that it screws up the camera's near clipping field.

How can I import the Retopo mesh into 3DC without it screwing with the size. I want it identical to the original model.

thx! :)

• Contributor

It sounds to me like you need to do it this way:

In the Voxel room go to the File menu and choose Import Mesh for Voxelizing. In the Tool Options panel choose Merge without voxelizing (it is a checkbox near the bottom). Then scale up the model (using the scale gizmo) to the size you want to have the model displayed in your viewport. Once you have chosen a size that you like, click on Apply in the Tool Options box, or simply hit Enter on your keyboard. There will be a very important prompt that appears that asks you if you want to keep the original scale and position of your object. Choose "yes". Then go to the Retopo room and choose Import from the Retopo menu. Choose the same mesh you just imported into the Voxel room. This imported retopo mesh will automatically size itself to match the mesh you have in the voxel room. You will be prompted to "place" the mesh and then hit Enter. It will be unneccesary to "place" the mesh since it is in the exact same position as the mesh you have in the Voxel room. Simply hit Enter. You will be asked if you want to snap this mesh to the mesh in the Voxel room. Choose "no" because it is already in the exact same position and does not require snapping. Now you will have two separate (but identical) meshes loaded into 3D-Coat. One mesh sits in the Voxel room. The other mesh sits in the Retopo room. Both meshes are visible in the Retopo room (you can toggle visibility of the Retopo mesh in the Groups panel). You can immediately export the Retopo mesh to an external app if you like, and it will be scaled and positioned exactly the way it was when you exported it from the external app.

I just tested all of this using Maya and 3D-Coat and it worked fine. Mesh originally created in Maya, imported into 3D-Coat for use as Retopo, then reimported to Maya with scale and position intact.

Good luck!

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

thanks for your reply!I will try this. :) It does seem a bit long and complicated, especially since I don't want voxels or sculpt room stuff at all, but I will attempt this and see how it goes. It should be just straight-forward to bring in a model and have it be IDENTICAL in size and placement to the original.

On a tangent, I also hate that "No Center Snap" is off by default. Why would I want 3DCoat to center my object? I built it around the origin for a reason. Sometimes I forget about it and then when I export, wonder why my symmetry in other apps is broken...