Jump to content
3DCoat Forums

Sharpen for Pose Tool


ebitz
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

Pose tool needs a sharpening option to company the smooth selection in it's tool options.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 years later...
  • Reputable Contributor
On 3/31/2013 at 7:15 AM, ebitz said:

Pose tool needs a sharpening option to company the smooth selection in it's tool options.

True, but in the mean time, you can use a Freeze Mask > choose SHARPEN MASK in the FREEZE menu > switch to the Pose tool which will use a Freeze selection as a Pose Selection.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
7 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

True, but in the mean time, you can use a Freeze Mask > choose SHARPEN MASK in the FREEZE menu > switch to the Pose tool which will use a Freeze selection as a Pose Selection.

Thanks! @AbnRanger .This approach still doesn't seem to allow sharp deformations afaic.The sharpened Freeze does not translate to a sharpened pose falloff in pose mode when I tried, which I guess is what was looked for, at least by me.

Same way as smooth smooths the falloff, a sharpen would be great also. But using the curve as Carlosan suggested is a fine solution.

Edited by Henry Townshend
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

low voxel resolution...

small size mesh...

Voxels produces a virtual grid in 3D space and the mesh then occupies sections of this grid to form its shape.

While voxels are based on cubes, the high resolution of the grids means smooth curves are still possible.

Similar to how polygonal meshes are flat planes that can make smooth curves by having a high number of polygons.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Reputable Contributor
14 hours ago, Henry Townshend said:

 

 

However, when using this approach, I get stepping on this simple piece when applying hitting enter.

@Carlosan @AbnRanger Any idea what might could be causing this?

As Carlos said, the Voxel Resolution for maintaining sharp edges and crisp details, needs to be higher. You will have to experiment a little to see what works best for your specific needs in a given setting, because you are using Pixels...volumetric pixels, and just like in Photoshop, you cannot get sharp details with a low resolution image. Some objects, you can model in the Modeling or Retopo workspaces and bring those into the Sculpt workspace when needed (go to the Geometry menu > choose Retopo mesh to Sculpt Mesh). That is why these tools are there. Because sometimes it is better to build hard surface models with low poly quad geometry, using the polymodeling tools in 3DCoat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

Thanks both for the answer! @Carlosan@AbnRanger

I am familiar with how Voxels work in 3D Coat, at least I think so :). I passionately learned it the last year, and am really thankful for all your lessons @AbnRanger!

In this case, as shown in the video, I am roughly hitting 300k tris with the object in the scene. This not being enough for such a pose operation I find hard to to believe.
I think there might have been a slight misunderstanding :) as I am purposely working at low resolution for block in right now. The object in the video is a custom Spline object, recommended to be very low.

Sure, I could use Poly Modeling and model this in a breeze in Blender and send it over via the amazing AppLink, but I currently try to get more into Voxel Modeling in 3D Coat, thus using Polys is not exactly what I'm after. The attractive part about Voxel Modeling for me is the abscene of polys, working jus with form.

So I rather think in this case it could be the pose fallof causing this, rather than having to do with voxel resolution. As soon as I give it a tiiiny bit headroom in the corner of the curve, the extrusion works as I expected, which is awesome.



  Edited by Henry Townshend
content add
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member

yea them lines underneath makes no sense...

but honestly voxels arent supposed to be a finish product...

look at voxels like concept , it gives you complete freedom to model what you wants without having to worry about topology,

if you want smooth finished product use surface mode as it wont destroy topology while sculpting,

with the addition of quads soon the mesh will look alot better soon

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member

Never said I expected my custom Spline Voxel Object to be a finished product. I said "I am in Block In  right now".

I am not out for quads either, if I where, I would use ZBrush or Blender. I simply requested a sharpening function, adding to an old request from 2013 (!) , and then showed having problems with the pose tool falloff of the "band aid" solution that was offered.

I don't understand how this thread has turned and now continues into a philosophical discussion about 3D Coat's Voxel ways.

The thing I found and took the time to clearly demonstrate could even be considered a bug report. And I offered a workaround solution for it.

I am currently just having fun using Voxel Modeling for a project. I am not battling with the core concepts of 3D Coat, at all.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Henry Townshend said:

Never said I expected my custom Spline Voxel Object to be a finished product. I said "I am in Block In  right now".

I am not out for quads either, if I where, I would use ZBrush or Blender. I simply requested a sharpening function, adding to an old request from 2013 (!) , and then showed having problems with the pose tool falloff of the "band aid" solution that was offered.

I don't understand how this thread has turned and now continues into a philosophical discussion about 3D Coat's Voxel ways.

The thing I found and took the time to clearly demonstrate could even be considered a bug report. And I offered a workaround solution for it.

I am currently just having fun using Voxel Modeling for a project. I am not battling with the core concepts of 3D Coat, at all.
 

pose.thumb.jpg.1ab35e6dc6cbdbbfec050aa2afecde16.jpg

 

resolution is too low... not a bug jsut how voxels work , people explained and their answer were no good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member
3 hours ago, Elemeno said:

pose.thumb.jpg.1ab35e6dc6cbdbbfec050aa2afecde16.jpg

 

resolution is too low... not a bug jsut how voxels work , people explained and their answer were no good

Ok, look. And please observe:
 

 

If you are telling me 4.7mio resolution is not enough to perform this kind of operation without getting these lines, I am all ears.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...