3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Multiple UV sets

Rikrok

It seems like you can't have faces with multiple UV sets. For a game you need a set for the diffuse which will have lots of overlapping UVs, and a second set with no overlaps for a lightmap. As far as I can tell a particular piece of geometry can only belong to 1 UV set at a time, when I need it to be in multiple.

Am I missing something or is this a feature missing in 3D Coat?

• Reputable Contributor

Sorry but this doesn't help. That's a model having multiple UV sets- that's all well and good. I'm asking for the same part of a model having multiple UVs.

No...you're right. There is no ability to assign different UV maps to the same polygon(s). Never, ever needed to do that and even in 3ds Max, I've never seen anyone try to assign different UV maps to the same selected polys. Some game engines may be doing that now, but if you can e-mail support and show/explain to Andrew why it's needed, I'm sure he'd try to accommodate the request.

i have done a model in Blender with 2 UVmaps

the UVmap1 was assigned like default for render

exported the OBJ, and imported it in Retopo room like uvset1 (Retopo > import)

then same process...

the UVmap2 was assigned like default for render

exported the OBJ, and imported it in Retopo room like uvset2 BUT first i create a new uv-set

Now i have the same mesh with 2 uvsets

When i bake for PPP, in the paint room there is one object with 2 uvsets and 2 materials

is this what you need ?

hope it help :)

Thanks for your answers. Multiple UVs for the same polys is standard practice in video games.

Carlosa I'm trying to follow your workflow but I can't get it to work. The closest I got is a model with twice as many faces as it should have and still missing the second set of UVs. I get the feeling AbnRanger is right and 3D Coat simply doesn't support this.

In the short time I've used 3D Coat I've been very impressed with its UVing so I kept at it and found a solution. I tried copying the new UVs onto the model with original UVs in Maya but unfortunately Maya's transfer attributes is broken to the point of being useless. Attribute transfer in Houdini however has done the trick perfectly.

• 3 years later...
  • Reputable Contributor
On 4/4/2013 at 11:55 AM, Rikrok said:

It seems like you can't have faces with multiple UV sets. For a game you need a set for the diffuse which will have lots of overlapping UVs, and a second set with no overlaps for a lightmap. As far as I can tell a particular piece of geometry can only belong to 1 UV set at a time, when I need it to be in multiple.

Am I missing something or is this a feature missing in 3D Coat?

I would contact Support@3dcoat.com because I know this topic has come up before. Andrew has plans to change the UV structure from UV sets to at least an option for UV tiles. It might be a good time to make this request so he can add it in, to what he already planned.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Multiple UV sets