3DCoat Forums

RGB Automap Islands from your highpoly model

Carlosan

Mantis request open -any +1 is welcome-

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1089

Baking a RGB map from your highpoly model is a huge time saver allowing you to quickly extract selection masks that you can use as the basis of your texture. Assign basic materials to your highpoly objects using Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and White and then bake that down to a color map along with your normal map.

You can use a Photoshop action to separate the colors into individual layers that you will be able to build your materials on top of. Make sure to use the exact color values ie: 1, 0, 0 – 0, 1, 0 – 0, 0, 1 – 1, 1, 0 – 1, 0, 1 – 0, 1, 1 and 1, 1, 1

tbmtrender_rgb_c.jpg

THis is the manual workflow im following (just for reference)

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6863

Hey All,

I'm finding my favorite way to start texturing something is to use the vox layer shader before I start.

the technique is really similiar to what I do when coloring comics using color "flats" to block in the color and then "shade" later.

It took some trial and error to get this working in 3D coat, since a lot of the shaders either don't bake, bake from the view at bake time or bake with totally un-predicable results for specular. it was frustrating me, so I made a series of custom shaders from one of the default simple shaders that bakes predictably into specular and diffuse. (the vox layer render looks like the texture render)

here's a snapshot of my customized shaders.

128809023013.jpg

foreach shader, I create an empty vox layer assign it when I want to add a new element of that material/shader type, I just make sure the vox layer is selected before I start drawing/stamping etc.

later, when I bake the layers to a retopo mesh I have a great starting point. Or if I'm really lucky, I have a finished texture that just needs the layer opacities adjusted.

128809031413.jpg

128809340524.jpg

tip: if you're trying to split up an existing vox layer into color vox layers, the split tool works fine. for complex models. use the hide tool and when you have the boundaries set the way you like, use the "separate hidden part" command in the voxels menu.

128809460452.jpg

128809471202.jpg