3DCoat Forums

Suggestion for Feature Request submittals

popwfx

• Advanced Member

In the effort to make things more efficient, easier for others here to understand your issue and lend support to it, and ultimately to make things easier for the devs to understand the issues, 3DCoat customers have, and if they choose to, to make it easier for Andrew to develop them, may I suggest the use of a template (as below) for submitting Feature Requests here or in Mantis. Because if the feature request is a sentence and not very clear, it doesn't lend itself to being understood quickly and worked on. The easier you make it to understand your issue and suggestion, the more likely it will get resolved. Plus as a another use, it is hard to see if others have dealt with this request before if everyone describes things in a haphazard fashion.

Since we don't have a site for 3DCoat like they do for Unity feature requests ( http://feedback.unit...es/1/hot/active ), perhaps this template with its headings (or something like it) would be helpful:

Feature Request Summary:

One brief sentence or phrase that covers the request. Basically this is a way to talk about it - i.e. something like "Layer Grouping in the Paint Room"

Current Problem or Issue:

A short paragraph which describes the problem the feature request is intended to solve. This may be accompanied by pictures, mockups, or videos, that describe your issue, but it is not necessary if your description here is clear. Also, in this section do NOT include your suggested solution. By separating out the problem you are trying to solve, it make it easier to consolidate multiple requests that all need to be combined or possibly all addressed as a group as opposed to as an individual request - this is especially so if the issue you are having is part of a larger inadequacy or fundamental problem that needs solving. Remember to focus just on the problem you are having, and note things like how much time this problem is costing or limitations you are having in working while this problem exists. The problem may also just be an inability to achieve certain tasks without a new feature.

Current Workaround (if any):

Explain here briefly, any workarounds or halfway attempts at workflow you currently are using to remedy the problem. This section may be merely "none" if no workaround exists.

Suggested Feature Request:

Now here is where you actually describe your feature request. Try to articulate it as clearly and succintly as possible, with accompanying diagrams or mockups. Even a rough MSPaint scribble over a screenshot is better than nothing if it is not totally apparent what you are talking about.

Links to Related Feature Requests or Bugs:

Here just put a sentence or two and links to existing forum threads or Mantis requests which are related to the problem you are trying to solve here (not necessarily your suggested solution). If a feature request is so important to you, then 5 minutes of searching the forums and Mantis for existing related issues, and putting links here to make Andrew's life easier, should be worth it. I'm sure it would help staff consolidate requests and see easier what types of requests keep appearing.

Just a thought here, but maybe some uniformity in the requests would make things easier. I see a lot of good ideas here, but they are often not very well articulated and because we are all busy, I just gloss over them until finally I see what the original poster meant, and then I can lend my support to it. What do you guys think? :)

• Advanced Member

thanks, I know the link to my Mantis view, was just suggesting a fashion to describe feature requests whether here or in Mantis, most people just put half a sentence fragment and don't thoroughly explain their issue. I was just treating this kind of like a support request format thing... that's all :)

lol, nice idea

the Unity feature requests is soooo cool ! :D

Taros is the Mantis admin, please drop him a line ;)

may be mantis have a lot of others features hidden in the plugins and ready to be set ? :huh:

http://www.mantisbt.org/wiki/doku.php/mantisbt:mantis_plugins

and... ty for your support :)

-----------------------

My POV

3DC is a mature app ready to make a newsletter,

using it like example... this info will be added for all community knowledge easily

• Advanced Member

Thanks , I will do a mocked up image to show what I am after.You never know do you....

One more question, there is an "assign to" box for the report, it seems to have have everyones name in there including mine.What am I supposed to do with that? I dont select myself do I? Wouldnt that mean I fixing it myself!