3DCoat Forums

Any way to Eyedrop pick spec level/color?

popwfx

• Advanced Member

Say I'm touching up a spec layer that has already been painted, and say I want to "erase" part of that or fill an area with the same level spec that is in the layer somewhere. If I don't know the % specularity, then other than exporting the layer to photoshop and painting it there and reimporting, then what is the best way from within 3DCoat to pick the grey level of an existing spec pixel and use that spec level to paint spec with?

i.e. I'd like to pick spec with the eyedropper tool, but that doesn't seem to work -- Oh wait... I just noticed there is a "Pick Depth too" check box (but no "Pick Spec too") though I just tried, picking depth doesn't work, only picking color - and yes I've tried both with and without "Choose color from all layers" on and off...

any ideas?

EDIT: I just noticed, that picking depth picks the color of the depth from a normal map as opposed to setting the Depth % for your brush to the right percentage for that color., Do we need a new tool that is a Depth Eydropper and a Spec Eyedropper too?

• Contributor

You can try holding the "V" key and click the area you want to pick the colour/depth/specularity from. It's a default shortcut for Windows->Popups->Pick color/depth/specular and fortunately this command seems to work. Note: you have to leave the eyedropper tool in order to use this command.

• Advanced Member

oh ok thanks. :) I was thinking you needed to hold the v key down and click while you were in the tool. That sort of works just the v key when in the brush tool and pressing the key while hovering over a surface, that part wasn't clear. But the actual eyedropper tool itself is still a bit odd and doesn't work all the time for depth and spec.

• Contributor

You can try holding the "V" key and click the area you want to pick the colour/depth/specularity from.

I have to correct myself. Actually, it's "V" key click only and no holding.

But the actual eyedropper tool itself is still a bit odd and doesn't work all the time for depth and spec.

I think this is a good ground for a Mantis report. :gamer1: