3DCoat Forums

Makibox - a very affordable 3D Printer

• Advanced Member

Hey 3d coaters!

Have any of you heard of the Makibox by Makible? It is a new-ish 3D Printer currently available to buy at a very reasonable price.

Here is a link: Makibox

I may just have to get one. :)

They are only $200 for the cheapest version and $400 for the most expensive version.

It really cound bring 3D printing to the masses.

As someone who has used 3D Coat for 3D printing the idea of printing my models in my own office is very apealling to me.

I will let you know if I get one and will post the results.

Anyone else thinking of jumping on the bandwagon with me?

Maybe you already have a 3D printer....

• Reputable Contributor

Hey 3d coaters!

Have any of you heard of the Makibox by Makible? It is a new-ish 3D Printer currently available to buy at a very reasonable price.

Here is a link: Makibox

I may just have to get one. :)

They are only $200 for the cheapest version and $400 for the most expensive version.

It really cound bring 3D printing to the masses.

As someone who has used 3D Coat for 3D printing the idea of printing my models in my own office is very apealling to me.

I will let you know if I get one and will post the results.

Anyone else thinking of jumping on the bandwagon with me?

Maybe you already have a 3D printer....

I like the idea that they are affordable now. If you get one, let us know how it works out. What it's limitations are and such. Thanks for the tip on this.

• Contributor

Most likely the Makibox suffers from a "banding" problem, or in other words, you can easily see each level of the print in the vertical axis. This gives the prints a very rough look.

I looked briefly at the Makibox website and saw one of their prints. In the image you can clearly see that the print has heavy banding. Additionally, the resolution may not be great...although the website does claim .04 mm.

A friend of mine has a B9Creator (desktop 3D printer). His prints look great, but currently they also have a lot of banding. Other than that, the prints look nice, and the resolution is very good.

Supposedly the banding problem has been resolved by the B9Creator staff, and they are sending out new replacement parts to their customers. Once these parts are installed, the prints are supposed to be very smooth.

The B9Creator was initially funded by a successful Kickstarter project. They have already received complete funding for a second Kickstarter project (which was created to solve the banding problem).

You can still buy one on that Kickstarter page for $2,795.

My friend (the owner of the B9Creator) says that it is not very easy to print with it. You have to prepare the models for printing with various software programs, and also there are many hardware parts on the printer which can mess up during the print and those parts need finessing and constant care. On the other hand, he is indeed successfully printing his models with it. It really does work.

These kinds of low-cost 3D printers are not streamlined and simplified like their expensive counterparts. If you get one, be prepared for some frustration and hours of tweaking and tinkering to get it to work properly.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I'd really like to get into 3D printing, but they seem soooo fiddly and time-consuming. I'm not sure I have the patience or time to wait 10 hours for a print and then clean up the machine only to find the thing I printed breaks. I'd rather go to a local printer (assuming the office max ones will be any good) or mail-order until they are more mature. I'd rather spend a few grand and not have to deal with clean up, long prints, or fiddly adjustments - more money for less pain would be welcome. Do you know of a really stable, fast one that isn't a time-sink?

• 2 weeks later...

I know someone on Twitter that ordered a Makibox I'll have to see if he ever got it (if I can remember who it was). I'm glad it's becoming so much more commonplace. You can now order Cube 3D printers from Staples and soon they will carry them in stores. They're also going to start doing 3D prints on mcor printers right in the store. mcor is the one that prints on paper instead of plastic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Actually, I have my own 3D printer machine but I built it through affordable kits. Makibox is pretty expensive for me. Anyways, my recent 3D printed creations include car parts and plastic toys. I would also like to experiment with materials. Is anybody here already using this one: http://www.3d2print.net/shop/product/rubber-crystal-clear-1-75mm/. I heard rubber-like filaments are highly elastic; I wanna hear some feedback about this kind of filament.

• Advanced Member

to me this kickstarter looks like the most promising one.

And i go to say, these 3d printer start ups are just insane relative to the amount of backers they are gettings. This one has only been up for 5 days and already has more than 2 million in backers...

amazing world we live in :D