3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
Not all problems are actually solved with licensing, I just want to ask - is it legal to connect to server every time when 3DC will be run? (if PC is offline nothing will happen)

Not sure if it's legal or not,hope some guys will know. But i'm worried if the process of connect to server will be miss sentenced to a Trojan process by some kinds of anti-virus programs,for example Kaspersky...

Snapping is not screen based but normal based. Point is snapped in direction of vertex normal. Also it is impossible (I hope) to snap point to transparent, if point after moving could not be correctly snapped it will stay on previous place.

Thats great news :)

When i was talking about transparency i meant like this

silo-surfsnap01.jpg

Where the topo is snapping to the sphere, and to make it easier to see the sphere is semi transparent. Is this possible in 3Dcoat. If not, would be a nice addition.

Also i think its ok for the app to log into your server when the app is run, so long as its only when 3DC is run, to check if any other copies of the license are being used. Its also very important that no personal information is collected as I'm pretty sure this is Illegal. So it has to be anonymous data.

If you're going to be checking into a server at the app startup anyway, why make the customer "uninstall" their license all the time? Why not just allow only one copy of the app to run at a time (per key). Like modo, where i can install it on as many PC's/Mac's as i like. All licensed and legal..but only one will run at a time.

So the user could choose which license system suits them, an "activate once" non portable offline license, or a server based "only one 3DC can run but it can be installed on unlimited machines".

Perhaps you could use a Log in system with the app? so when 3DC is started you can type in a username/PW and the server then knows that user is using his one license then..and then you log off and can move to another PC..sort of like a forum :P

That way maybe you could tie in Net content into the app?

Don't even know if this is possible lol, in fact I'm just throwing Ideas out there without really thinking them through heheh

I'm not sure what you mean by "legal" there aren't any laws about it that I've ever heard of. I'm pretty sure a lot of software connects to the net or "calls home" when you start it up. Think of how many programs automatically check for updates when you start them up.

Thats great news :)

When i was talking about transparency i meant like this

Where the topo is snapping to the sphere, and to make it easier to see the sphere is semi transparent. Is this possible in 3Dcoat. If not, would be a nice addition.

Also i think its ok for the app to log into your server when the app is run, so long as its only when 3DC is run, to check if any other copies of the license are being used. Its also very important that no personal information is collected as I'm pretty sure this is Illegal. So it has to be anonymous data.

If you're going to be checking into a server at the app startup anyway, why make the customer "uninstall" their license all the time? Why not just allow only one copy of the app to run at a time (per key). Like modo, where i can install it on as many PC's/Mac's as i like. All licensed and legal..but only one will run at a time.

So the user could choose which license system suits them, an "activate once" non portable offline license, or a server based "only one 3DC can run but it can be installed on unlimited machines".

Perhaps you could use a Log in system with the app? so when 3DC is started you can type in a username/PW and the server then knows that user is using his one license then..and then you log off and can move to another PC..sort of like a forum :P

That way maybe you could tie in Net content into the app?

Don't even know if this is possible lol, in fact I'm just throwing Ideas out there without really thinking them through heheh

Transparency... Iwill guess...

What modo does if PC is not connected to internet?

• Advanced Member
I just want to ask - is it legal to connect to server every time when 3DC will be run? (if PC is offline nothing will happen)

I think all Adobe products do a 'phonehome'. It's not illegal, but people with paranoia tend to assume you transmit more information than neccessary (after all some very mighty internet crime organisations are russian...).

Just make sure you don't trigger the heuristics alarm on modern antivirus solutions.

mike

• Advanced Member
I think all Adobe products do a 'phonehome'. It's not illegal, but people with paranoia tend to assume you transmit more information than neccessary (after all some very mighty internet crime organisations are russian...).

Just make sure you don't trigger the heuristics alarm on modern antivirus solutions.

mike

Adrew is Ukrainian...

Hi all,

With the game Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, if the user is connected to the Internet, then you must login to your account, if you are offline, then you need to make sure you have the disc in the drive (if you log in you don't need the disk). Because of this, I do not think it is illegal to connect to a server, but like some have said, a few people are paranoid, and some just dislike the idea in general. But I do not think there will really be a problem if everything runs fine offline, as opposed to being only able to run 3dc while online (that would suck).

I am also a bit concerned about the 2 computer limit... in my experience such a low install limit can cause a few headaches - I am thinking 3 would be better... just a little bit more leeway if problems arise; although I admit, I will probably only run it on one computer so it doesn't really worry me.

Can't wait for the new version. :)

• Advanced Member

Great to see the latest GL build works fine on my machine.

I was playing with the re-topo tool for just a sec, so maybe this already exists - but is there a way to simply extrude edges rather than having to always draw points? That way you could quickly build up the model by quads instead of drawing points only.

Sorry if this feature already works, I haven't had more than 5 minutes to play with it.

Guest Lottmedia
1) To simplify life of customer. Now he don't need to ask serial every time.

2) Monitoring illegal usage. If your HDD crashed it can't be too often (othervice you are too unlucky guy). The purpose of monitoring - to determine keys that are included in "setup packs" by hackers.

3) If user is offline he will be asked to register sometimes (he can press button - skip but try to register without prompt). So if he is really offline user he will not have problems. But if he is offline only during registration process - he will be asked until he will not press - register without prompt. Is it legal?

So does this mean the new license will be gender-specific?

:)

Doesn't everyone out there have some Adobe app or another on their machine? Legal, that is :) I've always found it to be very friendly. I've had HDs die and just had to call Adobe (the number is given when your licenses don't go through) and I told them the situation and they reset that license. I can use it without internet with no problem.

On the Beta, any luck reproducing the tablet issue with clicking?

Casey

• Advanced Member

I was playing with the re-topo tool for just a sec, so maybe this already exists - but is there a way to simply extrude edges rather than having to always draw points? That way you could quickly build up the model by quads instead of drawing points only.

Sorry if this feature already works, I haven't had more than 5 minutes to play with it.

"Add quads" mode,there are 4 method,the first 3 method are what you want

post-445-1216297851_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by "legal" there aren't any laws about it that I've ever heard of. I'm pretty sure a lot of software connects to the net or "calls home" when you start it up. Think of how many programs automatically check for updates when you start them up.

Sure lots of apps phone home, but I'm pretty sure they can't just collect any old data they want. I could be wrong but I think a company is not allowed to collect personal info data through the phone home method. If they do then you have to be told at least...but anyway I'm no lawyer ;)

Andrew, about modo.

Modo gives each user an account on their site, you log in and from there you can access all apps you've bought and download them as often as you want. You also Download the Licensing app..not sure what it does, but its an .exe you run after install and it does some stuf and then modo works hahah. sorry not much help :P

I think offline PC's just use the downloaded license exe. They probably count on the fact that most people are connected to the net/a network and if Modo finds another license in use online or in your network it wont start.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for this new beta

I was playing with topo tools and I found some problems.

I think that Select and Operate should not be a menu but should be always usable.

That's kinda boring to move from your current mode only to use these feature.

You could just add a permanent tab with the function include in select and operate.

And I also think that the function you can see in the menu could get buttons, for add loop and so on.

Like that you can custom you hotkey and use it easily without having to switch to select and operate. (I am unable to use add loop, pressing Insert doesn't work, and I prefer to have a custom hotkey for it).

Be able to attach a stroke on an other stroke is not possible.

You can continue a stroke by pressing ctrl, but if you want to attack a stroke to an existing stroke it doesn't work.

Split Edge ring: if I click and drag it move the yellow highlighed edge I don't know if it was meant to do that.

With addQuad you can add polygons on top of each other.

The reference feature is really great, I was able to import a 500k mesh and it is really smooth.

And I really like the fact that you can continue your topology from existing quad with the drawint tool.

There is possibility to select several edges in "Select and operate" then press "Extrude"

So does this mean the new license will be gender-specific?

:)

Doesn't everyone out there have some Adobe app or another on their machine? Legal, that is :) I've always found it to be very friendly. I've had HDs die and just had to call Adobe (the number is given when your licenses don't go through) and I told them the situation and they reset that license. I can use it without internet with no problem.

On the Beta, any luck reproducing the tablet issue with clicking?

Casey

I am working over this issue (clicking), but I still can't reproduce it. It is one of critical issues. I have question:

Are you able to paint with pen in normal way? Is there difference where you clicking - on checkbox, button, menu item?

Guest Lottmedia
I am working over this issue (clicking), but I still can't reproduce it. It is one of critical issues. I have question:

Are you able to paint with pen in normal way? Is there difference where you clicking - on checkbox, button, menu item?

Only seems to be on menu items/selecting I can paint fine with pressure sensitivity but if I try to click on a tool to change tools I cannot. Strangely I can select menus fine, but not the buttons on the menu :( Not sure there. In all other apps I don't have problems.

Only seems to be on menu items/selecting I can paint fine with pressure sensitivity but if I try to click on a tool to change tools I cannot. Strangely I can select menus fine, but not the buttons on the menu :( Not sure there. In all other apps I don't have problems.

What about check boxes?

The difference is that there are two types of actions - MouseDown and MouseUp

MouseDown is used for check boxes, top menu activating

MouseUp - press button, select menu item

So what is wrong - mouse up or mouse Down?

• Advanced Member

Maybe by using the Middle Click?

Like that you can even suppress Tweak with brush.

If you can select an element by middle clicking it, and Tweaking by middle click and drag you can do this everytime without exiting any mode, isn't it?

And you add a "pin" menu with all the Edge Command and Face command like that you can use them everytime also.

The only conflict will be the smooth with Tweak brush, because it share the Shift key with add element in Select and operate.

But if you do, add element with Ctl and substract with Ctrl+Shift you can still do it.

Even if ctrl+shift seems silly that's better than having to switch between several menu I think and that can fasten the work.

And I found something strange with Drawing mode, if I want to merge vertices by using Right click and drag vertices are flickering, and sometimes they doesn't merge together.

Guest Lottmedia
What about check boxes?

The difference is that there are two types of actions - MouseDown and MouseUp

MouseDown is used for check boxes, top menu activating

MouseUp - press button, select menu item

So what is wrong - mouse up or mouse Down?

Ok, so on the opening screen where you can select one of the standard objects, I can click with the pen without problem, but on next screen I cannot click the ok button without doubleclicking or pressing REALLY hard. I opened the options window and the checkboxes are the same, press hard or doubleclick

C-

Please have a look at the attached pic,the upper layer is always affected by the lower layer with it's depth channel,how to avoid that? perhaps Andrew should do something in the layer blending mode?

There is Layers masking in property of layer. You canset in red layer - inverse masking by green layer.

But anyway, maybe for depth of layer not only additive mode should exist...

Ok, so on the opening screen where you can select one of the standard objects, I can click with the pen without problem, but on next screen I cannot click the ok button without doubleclicking or pressing REALLY hard. I opened the options window and the checkboxes are the same, press hard or doubleclick

C-

ok, I will make some special changes in next beta for you to test.

• Advanced Member
There is Layers masking in property of layer. You canset in red layer - inverse masking by green layer.

But anyway, maybe for depth of layer not only additive mode should exist...

Yes,I know layers mask,but depth channel should have addition/ subtraction/intersection.