3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat BETA2 is done. I have decided to start new topic, previous become really huge. I have remambered last requests, they are not forgotten!

The list of changes in BETA2

1) selecting packs of faces/verts/edges and operating them

2) subdividing individual faces, incremental subdivision (if you have subdivided some face and want to subdivide neighbour face later, it will be subdivided like they was subdivided at once)

3) splitting any configuration of edges, not only edge rings

4) merging vertices together

5) making retopo mesh from current low-poly mesh

6) import retopo mesh

7) cursor flicking fixed

8) GMA945 issue fixed (i hope)

9) importing mesh with 3 types of uv-smoothing (smooth but keep edges, smooth all, smooth but keep corners)

10) baking tool improvement (speed, bugfixes and possibility to work with input meshes with many uv-sets)

11) Import huge meshes done (beta stage, still slightly slow, but it is first working version of the tool)

12) Permanent deleting hidden faces - allows rebuild mesh almost from scratch in combination with merge tool.

The link is below:

http://www.3d-coat.com/files/3d-Coat-2-10-BETA2.exe

• Advanced Member

a quick check on my system (xp SP2, ati x800, latest drivers) shows the OGL version won't

register any retopology strokes (or adding polygons)...so OGL seems broken for me. DX is

working just fine tho, thusfar. :)

*edit* logfile sent to support - hope it is of some help

• Advanced Member
3D-Coat BETA2 is done. I have decided to start new topic, previous become really huge. I have remambered last requests, they are not forgotten!

The list of changes in BETA2

3) splitting any configuration of edges, not only edge rings

5) making retopo mesh from current low-poly mesh

6) import retopo mesh

Can you explain these 3 points pliz?

I don't understand the point 3) and didn't find any change while testing it with topology tools.

5) didn't find how it works even if I understand it.

6) How does it works?

Thank you

Nice to see the new beta.

Do i miss somehing here.It seems there is no more the panel for merging the retopo mesh into scene, export it as raw object, clear mesh e.t.c.

I didnt find how to merge vertices.

Symmetry seems great. I just saw it now.Dont know if it was there.

It seems that making cylinder retopo mesh with the splines, creates a mesh with much more polygons than before. I dont know if this was in purpose, but it was better with fewer polygons.

As far as importing a BIG mesh, I always run out of memory (2GB) so i cant test it.

*EDIT: I was refering to retopo symmetry of course

• Advanced Member

Andrew,I have to say,the retopo tool in 2.10 beta2 come to a mass.I test the retopo tool every beta version form 2.10 beta1A to beta2, so let's summarize:

1),Add polygons:can be used to split any configuration of edges,basic tool,perfect.

2),select and operate:bad,since the tweak vertices tool can move vertices/edges/faces/edge loops/edge rings, why is the benefit of it?you maybe make it to operate multi elements,but select and then operate is very ineffective.about multi selecting and operating,I think should add to tweak vertices(the name is best to be "tweak" or "tweak elements")

3),Add quads:perfect.

4),delete polygons/edges:best combine to "delete elements",since you have made "tweak vertices" tool to tweak vertices/edges/faces/edge loops/edge rings,why can't delete element as the same of that?

5),collapse edges:nice

6),split edge rings:nice

7),tweak vertices:nearly perfect,now it can merge vertics.if we can hold down "ctrl" and LMB click to select multi elements,release ctrl and drag to tweak them would be best.Another function should be add to it, if we select the boundary edge(s), hold down "shift" and drag can extrude out new quads.it can fast grow polygons.(it is the "extrude edges tool" that was asked for many times)

8)slide edges:the tweak vertices can slide edges,so it is unnecessary.

9)tweak with brush:perfect

10)draw stroke:perfect

but where is " subdividing individual faces, incremental subdivision"? How to "make retopo mesh from current low-poly mesh" and"import retopo mesh"?

I don't think other tools is necessary,just improve the existent tools or functions,the retopo tool in 3dc would be the best!

• Advanced Member

Actually,2.10 beta2 even can't run on my GMA945 at all,both DX and GL version,just got an error:

Default file source is folder "C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-2-10-BETA"

Added "Bmp" image codec.

Added "Dds" image codec.

Added "Jpg" image codec.

Added "Tga" image codec.

Added "Png" image codec.

Added "cAnim" animation codec.

Added "Md5Anim" animation decoder.

Added "Fbx" animation decoder.

Added "cModel" model codec.

Added "Md5Mesh" model decoder.

Added "Obj" model decoder.

Added "Fbx" model decoder.

Added "cCamera" camera codec.

Added "Fbx" camera decoder.

------------------------------------------------------------

Graphics card and driver info

------------------------------------------------------------

Direct3D Renderer

Adapter: Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family

Driver: igxprd32.dll

Supported:

Pixel shaders 2.0

Unsupported:

Vertex shaders 1.1

I don't understand the point 3) and didn't find any change while testing it with topology tools.

Come to "Select and operate" and read hint below (select edges and press ins).

5) didn't find how it works even if I understand it.

There is "Commands" menu in Retopologisation. It seems that this item is really invisible - no one has found it... I have tried to make left panel less... Please give me advice how to make it visible.

6) How does it works?

"Commands->Import..."

to ldzywsj:

but where is " subdividing individual faces, incremental subdivision"?

Come to "Select and operate", read hint (select several faces and press Ins).

How to "make retopo mesh from current low-poly mesh" and"import retopo mesh"?

"Commands->..."

to maggot:

Can the erase tool be expanded to erase the depth of previous depth painting? Thanks

Not sure that I have understood.

PSD bug is still there. When I attempt to Edit All Layers in External Editor it saves the temp file, but then nothing happens. If I manually click the Layers.psd file it opens in PS fine, but when I try to save it I get the attached error. I checked the file properties and everything seemed normal.

post-466-1215236033_thumb.jpg

PSD bug is still there. When I attempt to Edit All Layers in External Editor it saves the temp file, but then nothing happens. If I manually click the Layers.psd file it opens in PS fine, but when I try to save it I get the attached error. I checked the file properties and everything seemed normal.

Yes, it really was not fixed... I will try to do it asap. Thanks for reminding.

• Advanced Member

whoah...didn't know 'Commands' was even a clickable button...so that's where everything went. :)

Think this has been mentioned before, but is it possible to retopo half the model and just let x-Symmetry

take care of the other half? There doesn't seem to be a way to perfectly align an edge (or verts) central

to the x-axis...

*edit* forgot to mention...looks like hitting 'enter' to close a numeric adjustment panel got broken on my

DX version, as I have to actually click on the 'ok' button with my mouse to close it.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,I read all the hints more carefully and test the retopo tools seriously.Great work!Andrew,but I have a small idea about the select and operate tool.why not make automatic selecting? just like it does within tweak vertices tool,we can automatically select and tweak a vertices/edge/face with all this checkers on.LMB to select and RMB to Move/slide,so the retopo tool bar may seems to be more cleanlily.

Andrew,I read all the hints more carefully and test the retopo tools seriously.Great work!Andrew,but I have a small idea about the select and operate tool.why not make automatic selecting? just like it does within tweak vertices tool,we can automatically select and tweak a vertices/edge/face with all this checkers on.LMB to select and RMB to Move/slide,so the retopo tool bar may seems to be more cleanlily.

about RMB - good idea!

• Advanced Member

Thanks for this new Beta,

however i still can't register with the right serial number without 3DCoat crash.

1) selecting packs of faces/verts/edges and operating them

How about having a Select brush ? When you press the mouse button, everything under the brush radius could be selected.

Actually, i have to select tediously one by one every face/vertex/edges

i thought about a Select partial edge loop or edge ring option. Please, see the attached pic.

Could you also add an Expand and shrink selection with the + and - keys, and a select whole shell ?

In Tweak vertice mode, when i move a vertex near another using the right mouse button, the 2 are not merged. It works fine with the left mouse button.

11) Import huge meshes done (beta stage, still slightly slow, but it is first working version of the tool)

I loaded successfully a 6.3 million poly model. However, 3dBrush seems to halt when i minimize the app while i load a big mesh.

The mark edge loop in the Quick UV tool dosen't work anymore.

However i can 'move' edges when i use the mark edge loop

With the topo tool, in tweak mode, i can move edges and vertices outside of the reference model. When it happens, i can't select them anymore

I've got a display bug when i collapse edges in Select and move mode.

Finally, here is the log file after 3d Coat exit, when i entered the serial number.

post-476-1215249107_thumb.jpg

post-476-1215249116_thumb.jpg

post-476-1215249125_thumb.jpg

Log.txt

It's better,but dark :)

I have that happen sometimes on my laptop. Oddly I found if I scrub over it with some tool it clears the blackness away. it seems to be any tool, as long as you're clicking and dragging over the model even the eyedropper.

Thanks for this new Beta,

however i still can't register with the right serial number without 3DCoat crash.

I will re-make registering system to be hardware independent, so it will work fine in 2.10 release.

How about having a Select brush ? When you press the mouse button, everything under the brush radius could be selected.

Actually, i have to select tediously one by one every face/vertex/edges

i thought about a Select partial edge loop or edge ring option. Please, see the attached pic.

Could you also add an Expand and shrink selection with the + and - keys, and a select whole shell ?

Agree 100%

In Tweak vertice mode, when i move a vertex near another using the right mouse button, the 2 are not merged. It works fine with the left mouse button.

Agree 100%

I loaded successfully a 6.3 million poly model. However, 3dBrush seems to halt when i minimize the app while i load a big mesh.

Now I am improving it to be faster and more stable. What size of obj file on 6.3 mln?

The mark edge loop in the Quick UV tool dosen't work anymore.

However i can 'move' edges when i use the mark edge loop

With the topo tool, in tweak mode, i can move edges and vertices outside of the reference model. When it happens, i can't select them anymore

I've got a display bug when i collapse edges in Select and move mode.

ok, will fix

• Advanced Member
when I delete a quad face,I can use add quads to fill the hole,but how to fill a triangle hole? why the add polygons can't be used to fill hole?

to fill a triangle, first click on an edge, then 2 times on a vertex

• Advanced Member
There is "Commands" menu in Retopologisation. It seems that this item is really invisible - no one has found it... I have tried to make left panel less... Please give me advice how to make it visible.

I think that you can just add a little triangle to show that it is a rollout menu, I didn't see it was a rollout menu before you said it, I thought the commands were the buttons behind it.

And everytime I try to import an existing topology it crash.