3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

I sent a bug report.

I test it with a simple cube and it works.

The mesh I used was done in Topogun so I don't know if it is linked to this because Topogun has the gift to crash 3dsmax when I import model.

But with this one it is ok so I don't know.

I can give you the mesh if you are able to check it. I don't know if it helps.

andrew

Re: erase to work on depth painting.

Erase and paint tool should have/share the same functions but perform a different operation; additional paint and/or displacement with the paint tool, subtractive paint and/or displacement with the erase tool. The erase tool could become a brush stroke type on the sub-menu that pops up on the 'reaction on pen pressure or mouse click'

Hopefully thats a little clearer

The erase tool could become a brush stroke type on the sub-menu that pops up on the 'reaction on pen pressure or mouse click'

I think this would make it harder to find, I rarely look in that sub-menu. I would think the idea would be to get it as close to Photoshop as possible, while incorporating the 3D elements.

I suppose that could work. Personally I'm happy with hitting E and erasing, then B and brushing.

BTW I'm finding a strange bug where I'll use it, then go surf the web or something for a while. Then when I come back it is semi frozen. None of the buttons work, but the curser changes as I drag over various things. Though when I drag over the model the curser changes to just a + with no circle around it or anything. After switching between a few windows and coming back it is all the way frozen, I see the title bar, but aside from that it just looks like my other windows. See the attachment.

post-466-1215299466_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Andrew,I have some ideas to improve retopo tool and make it work more friendly.

Now the retopo tool has excellent functions,but organized not so good.

What is the real reason make it a bit disordered?

There are two workflow "select and operate" and "select then operate" in 3d modeling apps(in a sense retopoing is just modeling) ,"select and operate" is more effective when we only select a single element.but "select then operate" is a more common workflow,so 3dc should take it as a default workflow.The efficiency of "select and operate" depend on the efficiency of selection.so a high-efficiency selection system is the key to work friendly and more effective.

for example,if we can quickly select single/an area/continuous/rings/loops/all/ of vertices/edges/faces,then hit delete to erase the selected elements,we do not need "delete polygons","delete edges","clear mesh".

Silo is a high-efficiency 3d modeling app,so it has a effective selection system:

there is a powerful selection mode in silo:

Multi Selection Mode

With this mode, faces, edges, and vertices will all be selectable, although you can still only select components of one type at a time. If you have an edge selected, for example, you will only be able to select edges until you deselect everything, at which point you can select any edge, vertex, or face and continue selecting more of that component. Many users use this mode almost exclusively rather than specifying one of the component types.

and there are three selection style:paint,area,lassio.

select rings:double LMB click

select loops:double MMB click

select continuous path(edges,faces):select the first element, shift+double click LMB

with the effective selection mode and style,and together with hotkey "del", "insert","backspace",LMB to select and RMB to tweak(operate), the retopo tool may only need "Add polygons","select and operate" "draw stroke" or "tweak with brush".

• Advanced Member

Andrew,is there a way to import a model to 3dc just like it is done in other 3d apps? I mean, not to change the carcass resolotion,I only want to open a obj file,and retopo the model. sometimes,we only want use 3dc as a single retopo tool.I used commands->import external mesh,it crashs.if 3dc can import external mesh in retopo mode,how to deal with the existing one? How about to use file->import model to import an external mesh whose carcass resolotion has not been changed?

Andrew,is there a way to import a model to 3dc just like it is done in other 3d apps? I mean, not to change the carcass resolotion,I only want to open a obj file,and retopo the model. sometimes,we only want use 3dc as a single retopo tool.I used commands->import external mesh,it crashs.if 3dc can import external mesh in retopo mode,how to deal with the existing one? How about to use file->import model to import an external mesh whose carcass resolotion has not been changed?

You can simply import mesh to retopologise into scene using usual import. If it is not enough, I can make feature "Import reference mesh".

Also, thanks for testig!

to lc8b105 : thanks, I will work until GMA945 will work fine.

I sent a bug report.

I test it with a simple cube and it works.

The mesh I used was done in Topogun so I don't know if it is linked to this because Topogun has the gift to crash 3dsmax when I import model.

But with this one it is ok so I don't know.

I can give you the mesh if you are able to check it. I don't know if it helps.

yes, please send me model to support. Thanks!

Guest Lottmedia

So I'm having the problem in B2 that when using my tablet, I have to doubleclick on almost everythign (buttons, draging out quads) If I use the mouse it works fine and in all other programs the pen works correctly so it seems to be 3DC, no tthe pen

Casey

• Advanced Member
As Andrew requested you should post your log.txt file in this case. (after trying the GL version)

Here you go (I wanted to upload the !!crash!!.log file, but this forum won't let me):

8.7.2008 07:51 PAUL:CRASH!!!

Version:3D-COAT 2.10 BETA2(GL)

Memory status: OK

pointers: 19550

Work time: 0 m 4s

TotalPhys: 2813 -> 2813 Mb

AvailPhys: 1184 -> 1140 Mb

TotalPageFile: 4095 -> 4095 Mb

AvailPageFile: 4095 -> 4095 Mb

TotalVirtual: 2047 -> 2047 Mb

AvailVirtual: 1990 -> 1940 Mb

Video: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS

nproc: 4 (1)object: ()

vert: 0 poly: 0 rt:256x256

undo: (0)

tool: StdPen

03B9FDB5

.PDB file missed of stack failed

• Advanced Member
There are OVERLAPPING UVs on the black spot on the Dino model.

You should check your own model

Thanks,If a model has overlapping uvs,when import it,no matter select "keep uv" or "keep cluster" or "auto-Mapping",the holes always exist, so what shall I do?

I have updated the link (BETA2A). List of changes:

1) Interface is remade. Used rmb/mouse wheel/up/down/space to switch work mode

2) you can connect/break splines with CTRL-click in draw strokes mode

3) spin/extrude edge in select and operate mode (something like sock tool)

4) limited edge loop/edge ring

5) autosave time warning

6) speed and stability of importing huge meshes was essentially improved

7) Edit->change issue fixed (setting was not stored after reloading)

8) Selecting verts/edges/faces with pen/rectangle

9) welding vertices with RMB (not only LMB)

8) many bugfixes

but GL/GMA945 issues are still not finally fixed

Thanks for testing!